In the final seconds of regulation, the Denison Yellow Jackets got the three-pointer they needed to extend the game.

In the final seconds of regulation, the Denison Yellow Jackets got the three-pointer they needed to extend the game.

In the final seconds of overtime, the Greenville Lions didn’t take the three-pointer they needed to extend the game.

McShane Wyatt hit big baskets down the stretch, including the aforementioned shot from beyond the arc, as part of a 35-point performance and Denison hung on for a 69-68 overtime victory in District 13-4A when Greenville didn’t attempt a potential tying three.

With the Jackets (5-16, 2-9) ahead by three with eight seconds left, Byron Redmon drove the length of the floor for a lay-up and then putback his own miss as time expired, never allowing the Lions (12-11, 4-7) a chance at a second OT.

It could turn out to be a costly loss for Greenville, which fell a game behind both Royse City and Wylie East for the fourth and final playoff spot with three games remaining in the season.

"We told them not to foul, just guard against the three-point line," Denison head coach Chet Byerly said. "If they want the easy two then give it to them."

It was a tough three-pointer by Wyatt that put the Jackets into the extra four minutes. Denison was down by four with 1:45 left and a backcourt violation a minute later gave the ball back to the Lions. But they threw away the inbounds pass and Caleb Ross, who finished with 11 points, converted a three-point play with 33 seconds remaining.

Greenville broke the full-court pressure for an easy basket and a 57-54 lead before the Jackets tried to draw up the winning play. The initial idea wasn’t executed and the second attempt led to Wyatt moving to his left from the right wing around a screen from Will Parker and hoisting the tying shot with six seconds left.

"We didn’t get it on the inbounds play," Byerly said. "He got the big guy to switch on him and he’s not going to be able to step that far out on him. McShane’s got great range."

Wyatt finished with seven three-pointers and did all of his scoring after missing three shots in the opening quarter.

"McShane can get a stretch of them going at any time. When we get them out of our offense, man or zone, it’s usually a pretty good look for us," Byerly said. "What’s really helped him is he’s attacking the basket, making people worry about that. "

Denison, which snapped a seven-game losing streak, never trailed in the overtime, getting the first three points and holding a six-point advantage with a minute remaining. Jerry Dickerson, who had 23 points and made five triples of his own, hit a three-pointer with 37 seconds left, the Jackets turned the ball over trying to inbound and Greenville scored on the ensuing possession but Parker made two free throws and Wyatt connected on one from the line to help the Jackets hang on.

The Jackets actually went into the fourth quarter with a three-point lead — thanks to a 13-2 run in the middle of the third that turned a four-point deficit into an eight-point advantage — but Greenville used its long-range shooting to jump ahead.

Derren Wilson hit a three-pointer and Dickerson hit from long range on the Lions’ next two possessions to take their first lead in nearly 10 minutes, 45-43, with 3:49 left. Wyatt and Dickerson matched a pair of three-pointers over the next minute and a half.

The Jackets came out ice cold, hitting just one of their 11 first-quarter shots and missing seven of eight three-pointers as Greenville held the early advantage with a 13-4 lead after the first eight minutes. Parker had a three-pointer to make it a 5-3 deficit but Carlton Hines’ free throw with 4:41 on the clock was the only scoring the rest of the quarter.

"We have to attack the basket. That was the whole thing," Byerly said. "We didn’t challenge them first quarter at all."

Brady Mulkey and Justin Wade took advantage around the rim to combine for 24 points and when the Lions scored the first five points of the second quarter, Denison was down by almost 20 until it got on the board with 5:42 left in the half.

Wyatt made a free throw that not only stopped an 11-0 run but also started a seven-point spurt by the Jackets. Greenville sandwiched baskets around a Hines layup before Wyatt scored seven of the Jackets’ next nine points, including two free throws in the closing seconds for a 22-all tie at the break. The Lions made just one basket in the final six-plus minutes of the stanza.

"A little more patient offense," Byerly said. "They’re athletic but I don’t think they’re a great help defense team. If we reversed the ball we could get to the basket against them."

After playing at first-place McKinney North on Tuesday, Denison closes out the season against Wylie East and Sherman with a chance to win three of its last four.

"I’d be disappointed if we weren’t competing well in those last two games," Byerly said. "Those are two games, if we are playing the way we can, that we have a chance to win."