FRISCO — It was a sign of ultimate respect for a job more than well done.

FRISCO — It was a sign of ultimate respect for a job more than well done.

When Denison keeper Michael Moran had made another in the string of his dozen big saves, the stop he made on Frisco Wakeland’s leading scorer, Tristan Honaker, in the middle of the second half was worthy of applause even from Honaker himself.

"He held us in there. He’s a great keeper. Definitely a talent," Denison head coach Scotty Voight said. "I watched Michael make a couple of those saves, turned back and their coaches were throwing their hands up."

Moran came up with plenty of saves but Frisco Wakeland’s barrage was too much, including three goals during a 27-second stretch late in the second half, and boosted the Wolverines to a 6-0 victory against the Yellow Jackets in a Class 4A Region II bi-district match at Toyota Stadium on Tuesday night.

Wakeland (17-4-2) will face either Paris or The Colony in the area round later this week.

It was the second straight playoff appearance for Denison (11-7-2), which was a first in program history, after consecutive third-place finishes in 17-4A.

"I thought our guys hung in there against a quality opponent," Voight said. "Wakeland’s a team that could go a really long way."

The Jackets weathered an early storm in the second half to stay within striking distance and had a chance to get within 3-1 when Brandt Krasovic took hold of Denison’s best opportunity of the night. He made a long run and beat a defender, weaving towards the keeper from the left side. But when Krasovic ran down the ball with an open net, he pushed his shot wide with just over 20 minutes remaining.

"It didn’t quite work out for us," Voight said. "I thought Brandt had a real quality chance there."

Wakeland put the match away with a torrid stretch. Harris Partain, Brett Berdinsky and Logan Hunter all came up with goals in a 27-second stretch that ended at the 9:41 mark with the Wolverines’ last goal.

Less than a minute into the match Wakeland had a scoring chance when Honaker made a run but Moran came up with the save. And while it took the Wolverines 14 minutes to get on the board, they had several opportunities that the Jackets were able to turn them away.

Wakeland had a free kick headed out of danger by Denison and then Garrett Hestand got his noggin on a deep cross in front of the left post. Moran came up with another stop on a point-blank shot and Chance Speigel cleared a shot out of the box with a little less than 30 minutes remaining in the half.

Corey Cantor finally broke the scoreless tie when he ran down a long pass from Ben Loveall off one bounce and put in the right side of the net with 26:15 showing.

Two minutes later Denison tried for the equalizer but Marcos Sauceda’s free kick was right at the keeper.

Partain missed over the crossbar on a deflected shot and the ensuing corner kick led to Wakeland’s next goal. The Wolverines maintained possession before sending a cross from the right side. Speigel, facing out of bounds got a foot on it in the box and deflected it into the net to give Wakeland a 2-0 advantage with just over 22 minutes left in the half.

The Wolverines took a 3-0 lead into the break when Logan Biggs knocked in an easy pass from Ryan Lutz after Moran had to come charging out to try and cut off the angle.

Wakeland used its size, as well as its speed, to keep the Jackets quiet in the Wolverines’ end. Loveall had a significant height advantage in battling Krasovic, who is Denison’s leading scorer. Orlando Macedo sent a ball Krasovic’s way with 14:45 showingin the first half and when the senior ran it down on the left side, all he could was flip a harmless shot at the net.

Macedo had a header with 4:23 showing off a free kick by Hestand but he couldn’t get enough on it to make it a difficult save.

Moran kept the deficit manageable at the other end with several nice saves — many of them on Biggs. Partain had a shot between two defenders thwarted while a diving stop on a free kick from outside the top of the box was a double save because the ricochet by his feet kept Wakeland from tapping in an easy goal.

Biggs had three shots in the final five minutes of the half all turned away by Moran.