Sherman head coach Bill Patterson’s frustration was evident after his team’s fourth loss in as many games.

Sherman head coach Bill Patterson’s frustration was evident after his team’s fourth loss in as many games.

Patterson’s squad had taken its first lead of the entire 2014 season in the second quarter, and was seconds away from retiring to the dressing room with the upper hand on homecoming night.

But even that slipped away from a young Bearcat contingent trying to find something to build upon.

"We had our chances," Patterson said. "We get the ball down there and can’t score. We make stupid penalties. Right before half, all we got to do is tackle. That’s all we got to do. They called time out, there was 11 seconds left, and we said tackle them. We don’t need a big hit.

"We got a chance to beat somebody, and we don’t do it."

Instead, it was Prosper that came up with the big play to take the lead before halftime on a 63-yard pass play from Justin Kiedinger to Bailey Mack. That was the pivotal moment as the Eagles dominated the second half and went on to a 34-7 win at Bearcat Stadium in the District 10-5A opener for both teams.

Sherman (0-4, 0-1) was held to 140 yards and nine first downs. Sophomore quarterback David Bedgood completed 11 of 17 passes for 79 yards, nine of which went to Treyson Jones, one shy of tying the school record for receptions. Bedgood also ran eight times for 40 yards and the lone Sherman TD on the first play of the second quarter.

Despite giving up another scoring drive to open the second half, the Bearcats used an interception and a 50-yard return by Dakota Denney to put themselves in position to get back to within six points with five minutes left in the third quarter.

A 22-yard pass from Bedgood to Jones put Sherman on the Prosper 6-yard line for a first-and-goal, but four straight rushes netted only three yards and the ball went over on downs.

Prosper (2-2, 1-0) then put the game away with a 97-yard, 18-play drive that consumed more than eight minutes of clock to go up 27-7 with 7:01 remaining.

"We’re not going to beat anybody scoring seven points," Patterson said. "Golly. It’s just disappointing we can’t score any more than that. We’ve got to get off the field on defense and do something."

Further hindering the Bearcats was the loss of junior running back Cameron Pleasant to a knee injury on the first Sherman offensive play of the second half. Pleasant, who had missed the first three games with a left wrist injury, at least was able to hobble off the field under his own power, but his night was finished.

After a penalty-free first half, the Bearcats were flagged for three personal fouls in the final quarter and had one player ejected.

"It’s stupid and being selfish," Patterson said of the penalties. "Doing stupid things is just selfish football."

Kiedinger passed for three touchdowns, including the go-ahead score to Mack just seconds before halftime. Kiedinger was 12-of-16 on the night for 154 yards, and also tossed to Matthew Gonzalez and Zack English for scores.

Robert Mahone had 81 yards and a rushing touchdown for Prosper, and Kiedinger added 67 rushing yards. Backup quarterback Easton Murrell added a late rushing TD for Prosper following a muffed punt return.

Sherman fumbled the ball four times, losing three of them. Two of them in all were cashed in by the Eagles, including one near midfield on the Bearcats’ opening possession.

Prosper thus became the fourth straight Bearcat opponent this year to score on its initial drive, on Kiedinger’s toss to Gonzalez at the 3:30 mark of the first quarter. But the extra-point try sailed wide right.

The Bearcats got a nice kick return by Brayshon Savage to their own 44 to set up an answering march as Bedgood kept for a pair of first downs all the way to the Prosper 14. After the drive appeared to stall, Pedro Salvador came on to drill a 30-yard field goal — but a facemask penalty against Prosper led Patterson to choose to take the three points off the board.

It turned out to be the right decision. Tyson Jones carried for six yards down to the 1 as the first quarter ended. When play resumed on the other end of the field, Bedgood called his own number once again, and took it in around left end for the score. Salvador’s PAT gave Sherman a 7-6 lead.

That score held as both teams exchanged punts until the final seconds, when Prosper called time out at its own 37 following a Kiedinger sneak to move the chains.

Kiedinger threw over the middle to Mack, who slipped one tackle and was gone, to the horror of both Patterson and the Sherman homecoming crowd. With 11.8 seconds on the clock, the Eagles had regained the lead.

"That broke our back, and they get the ball to start the second half," Patterson said. "It’s very disappointing."