A mild November is keeping Texoma bass shallow. Usually by this time we have had major fronts coming through that quickly drop the lake temperature. With a mid 60s lake temp myself and other fishermen are still finding bass shallow.

For me not only shallow but holding on structure, wood, rocks and docks making it easy to make a pattern. Keying on fishing this type of structure puts your bait in productive places and saves a lot of random casting.

The wind — within reason — is also a plus. Fishing the windy banks with some kind of structure is about as good as it gets. Eventually the water will cool and the bass will move deeper along with the shad and the shallow bass bite will likely slow.

I’m happy as a beaver in a woodpile right now with the way all fish are biting. Crappie have been a cinch and I have my freezer stocked with crappie fillets. One-eighth ounce Blakemore Road Runners are catching the majority of my crappie.

Using different types of soft plastics and adding a Crappie Nibble is a sure way to get a hit. I’m catching mine in a boat house in from 5-16 feet water, hanging tight to underwater brush I put in. Changing colors and sizes of your plastic bodies can affect the size and number of crappie caught.

I’ve come down off my bass mountain and joined in with the lowlanders, chasing gulls, stripers and sand bass. Right now the lake is covered with gulls. They are working all day long.

Tuesday I got on the water around 8 a.m., which is late for me. Fishing rocky main lake points with a YUM Money Minnow Swim bait on a 1/2 oz. head got me two bass in the boat while losing a few more and hanging up a lot. At one of my stops I was fishing a boat was speeding by, then slowed and turned and came toward me. When it got close I saw a fellow retired firefighter I worked with, Mike Morgan, in it.

We talked for a while and he said they were going looking for silver fish. I told them it was easy to catch them now, just look for the gulls working.

They hadn’t been gone long when, as my bass bite was slow around 11 a.m., I figured I would follow them. I do have a couple of striper rods in my boat. I took off after them when I saw a lot of birds working close to the bank. There were two other boats already there so I started upwind and used my trolling motor to move in to the feeding birds. It was slab time.

My graph showed what looked like a pile of ropes under my boat. In 40 feet of water, letting a big Bomber one and a quarter ounce white slab fall to the bottom might get you a fish. If not, on the fall hopping it up and down would get you a fish. I’ve mentioned in earlier articles when the gulls move on, stay in the area they had been in.

I stayed and caught big stripers till I gave out hauling them in. They were still feeding on the addled shad that had fallen to the bottom after the birds left. I caught at least 20 and one that would go around 10 pounds I know. I’ll probably be drummed out of the Bass Purist club but golly fighting big fish is fun.

Last Saturday morning Johnny Unefusser called and asked if I wanted to go fishing with him. I met him at our ramp. We idled out and took off like a bullet. Then a horn went off and the boat slowed to a crawl and died. It wouldn’t start.

Being fishermen we just put that little snag on hold and went to fishing a rock bank. Johnny was throwing a Bomber Square Bill Crank bait, I was using my Yum Money Minnow 3-inch Swim bait on a jig head. We caught fish.

Wanting to move we tried starting the motor again; nothing. Deciding surrendering was easier than fighting a motor we started back to our cove. It’s a long way using a trolling motor to get across Little Mineral. Once close enough to see his truck we started fishing again.

I caught two right quick. We moved on and that’s how I found out bass were on boathouses. Johnny caught three big bass off the floats on a Spinner bait. I didn’t have a White Booyah in my tackle box as big as the one he was throwing and size made the difference Saturday. I went home and remedied that shortcoming. Finally deciding to go we hand-loaded his boat. He called me later and said his gas tank had a lot of water in it.

He had filled up at a station while at Lake Sam Rayburn two weeks ago and hadn’t run it since. Later he called me again and said he had drained the gas and water, filled it up with fresh gas and added a water breakdown additive. He said it ran rough for a while before smoothing out.

With a boat you never know what’s going to happen next.

My prediction for Friday: two Tigers meet at Royce City. Hair is going to fly — Gunter beats Dangerfield by 20 points.