My hat is off to the many striper guides who work the big windy. They go out on days I would feel better in the Titanic (pre-iceberg event). They take out parties in boats that are not the biggest around and bring them back safely. We bass fishermen go out in smaller boats not as tall as some of the waves and swells we get into. Where this is going is the difference in types of water fished.

The striper people work the more open water for the most part — even in areas where they can get out of the wind, they stay a little further off the bank usually. We bass fishermen work in closer to shore where the waves meet the road to frame an old saying. We can up to a certain safety point, fish those windy banks safely, then there are times the DA get a hold of us.

I was struck by a case of it last Saturday. I had the pleasure of taking one of the members of the Gunter High School fishing team and his dad out. The morning started nicely wind wise. I wish I had half the energy of this young fisherman. He and his dad wanted to know some places they could fish with a good chance of catching fish in an upcoming High School Tournament on Texoma next month with up to 300 teams fishing.

I shared some of my many spots, letting them GPS them. There is a lot of good structure in Texoma that goes unfished unless you know it’s there. As we fished and moved around I was constantly asked questions by both of them. I finally met someone who could ask questions faster than I could answer. A teacher would love this boy as he asked and wanted to learn. He could also change lures faster than Billy the Kid could draw.

As the morning wore on the wind got higher and soon moving from one spot to another got to be a challenge. As I moved around the shower was running. Anyone who has fished out of a bass boat in high wind knows what I’m talking about. Later in the morning I took us to a rocky bank with 3 foot high waves crashing on it.

I was hanging on to the trolling motor handle to stay in the boat. Our young fisherman was not at all concerned. He was chunking and winding and dancing as the boat rose, fell and rocked. I was praying he didn’t get hung up because I wasn’t going to get close enough to the bank to get a lure back.

I have people ask me why I like a hand control trolling motor over a foot control, Saturday I could have shown them. It is like a third leg and makes standing up a lot easier.

With two people on my front deck I need all the room I can get so I don’t use a butt seat. I should got a crystal ball before we started fishing this bank I told them it seems to always have a small mouth or two on it. He made a long cast and started a retrieve.

He set the hook and a big smallmouth came out of the rolling water. Talk about excitement, he was as excited as a teenager might get on his first date. I fought to keep the boat off the bank while he got his fish in. Finally we got a big smallmouth in his hands for a picture session.

It was his first smallmouth and he was walking on air, not hard to do as the deck kept rising and dropping. We finished out the day with some more small bass and a few of those silver fish. Except for the wind, which kept me from taking them to some other places, we had a productive day and he has a lot of places to practice on before their tournament out of Highport on December 2. They were a pleasure to fish with and we all came back a little damp but safely.

Tuesday morning I went fishing again. I never left the Little Mineral Area. The morning started off good. I never got out of the mouth of our cove before I ran into a bunch of gulls working. I grabbed my Striper Rod — yes, I have one just for cases like this. I had a one-ounce head with a five-inch Chartreuse YUM Money Minnow on it.

Fishing with Rick Toth on an earlier trip, he convinced me bigger was better for stripers with a swim bait. I wore the fish out for awhile. I also played with them with a Bomber ounce and a quarter white Slab. When the gulls left I was still catching the silver fish.

Having enough fun I went bass fishing. It was a lot slower than my earlier event. I caught seven bass, including three off one rocky point on a Bandit Square Bill crank bait that would go around right pounds with the big one an easy four.

Coming in and putting up my boat I got the golf cart and my dog and went crappie fishing. In less than an hour I had dinner for me and Susan. Living at the lake has its perks. Fishing is great now — give it a try.