Since being bitten by a copperhead snake two years ago, I have an extreme aversion to any kind of creature that can bite, sting or otherwise harm a human being.

Since being bitten by a copperhead snake two years ago, I have an extreme aversion to any kind of creature that can bite, sting or otherwise harm a human being.

About a week ago, I laid down to go to sleep only to find a wasp directly overhead. It wasn’t flying around, it was just perched on the ceiling. For all I know, it was trying to get some rest.

Still, I didn’t trust it.

To set the scene: I live in a truly tiny house. It cannot be more than 300 square feet and is all one room except for the bathroom. My bed is up on a loft, and the ceiling is pretty low in the bed area (an exceptionally tall person probably couldn’t sit up without hitting his or her head). There was no way I was going to bed with a wasp just a couple feet from my face.

I know, I know. I’m way bigger than a wasp. The wasp may be "more afraid of me than I am of it." Those factors did not matter.

My boyfriend is in the process of becoming a Texas Master Naturalist and has a better working knowledge of insects than I do, so I sent him a myriad of desperate text messages telling him how terrified I was and asking the best way to get rid of the wasp. He suggested that I (duh) use a fly swatter. Bug spray was out, since it would be hard to rid my tiny dwelling of the fumes.

Armed with a fly swatter, I sat on the edge of my bed and watched the wasp’s every move. It crawled around a bit on the wall, sometimes toward my lamp. Until that point, it never flew. I tried swatting it, but was only able to trap it behind the swatter’s flimsy plastic. As soon as I removed the swatter, the wasp would fly around confusedly and re-perch on my wall. In the meantime, I fell off my bed loft twice, trying to avoid it, and earned a couple bruises.

Eventually, the wasp flew to my lamp and stayed there, near the light bulb. I feared turning the lamp off, getting too close to it and risking being stung. I watched the wasp on my lamp for several minutes.

Tired, bruised, and most of all annoyed, I had had enough. I unplugged the lamp and threw it off the side of my bed loft. (I’m slightly embarrassed as I type this).

By some miracle, the lamp didn’t break. The wasp was nowhere to be seen. Because my house is so small, there are not many places the wasp could have gone — I looked around but couldn’t find it.

Fearing that the wasp may come sting me in my sleep as an act of retribution, I turned on the light in my kitchen and left some fresh fruit on the counter.

I don’t know what happened to the wasp — I’m assuming it died somewhere in my house or flew away. I keep an eye out for it but still have not encountered it.

One week later, I learned that this battle was just preparing me for another; this time in a bigger dwelling and facing a larger, scarier insect. I’ll detail that fight in "Ann vs. the wasp, Part II."

Happy birthday Thursday to Gwendolyn Ernestine Braxton and Sherry Rawlings, both of Denison; Dalyn Cleamons, Etta Slate, Michael Ann Luper, Melody Taylor Avila, all of Sherman; Amanda Morrow of Bonham; Becca Hutt Williams of Fort Worth; Jimmy Holloway of Pottsboro; and Tre Evans.

Happy anniversary Thursday to Wes and Shirley Brown, 65 years.