A woman and her children were displaced Wednesday morning when an electrical fire broke out at her Sherman home.

A woman and her children were displaced Wednesday morning when an electrical fire broke out at her Sherman home.


At about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sherman firefighters responded to a structure fire at a house in the 1300 block of S. Crockett Street, said Sherman Fire Marshal Jamie Baggs. The fire started in and was contained to the attic, and firefighters were able to put it out in about eight minutes. Smoke detectors inside the home alerted the family of the fire, Baggs said, and they were able to evacuate the house safely.


The cause of the fire was a "malfunction of electrical wiring in the attic," Baggs said. The occupants of the house will not be able to live there until an electrician fixes the electrical problems. In the meantime, the American Red Cross is helping the occupants with housing.