BONHAM — In day four of testimony in a Fannin County assault trial, jurors heard from a forensic nurse and from the alleged victim’s mother.

BONHAM — In day four of testimony in a Fannin County assault trial, jurors heard from a forensic nurse and from the alleged victim’s mother.

Former Bonham special education teacher Adriane Connerley, 30, is on trial for allegedly restraining and assaulting a 10-year-old student in May of last year. Paraeducator Brent Johnson is alleged to have also been involved in the assault.

One of the first witnesses to testify Friday was Linda Bell, a sexual assault nurse examiner and forensic nurse. Bell gave the child a physical examination two days after the alleged assault. Before the examination, Bell said, she did not know any details of the abuse allegations.

During the exam Bell asked the child what happened during the incident, and he replied that Connerley and Johnson held him on the ground, choked him and made it to where he "couldn’t talk or breathe."

Jurors were shown a diagram of the child’s body where Bell indicated where the child had bruises. It showed he had small bruises on his right arm, right wrist and legs. When doing a range of motion test, the child complained that his elbows and shoulders hurt, she said.

Defense attorney Bob Jarvis asked Bell if she had an audio recording of the child telling her that the teachers assaulted him. Bell said that she does not because recording patients in that setting is illegal.

"So the jury doesn’t have the right to hear what went on. They have to believe what you wrote down," Jarvis said.

Bell testified that the child was hyperactive during the examination, and even attempted to "dismantle the exam room," unplugging cords and opening drawers. Jarvis asked if bruises are uncommon on a hyperactive child, and Bell said that they are not.

During cross-examination, Bell also said that she found no evidence that the child had been choked as he told her.

Jarvis asked Bell if she was aware that the child’s family had filed a civil lawsuit against the school for the assault. Bell said she was not. He asked if she thought it was possible that the child had been coached by his family to say that his elbows and shoulders hurt in order to receive more money in damages. Bell replied that she did not think the child could feign pain.

Next, jurors heard from the child’s adoptive mother. She had raised the child since he was three days old.

"He’s a sweet child, but he’s different," she said.

When he was about two months old, the mother said she began to notice that the child had special needs. She had been a foster parent to 15 children over the years, and noticed that the child was not developing as usual.

The child sometimes acted out or screamed, she said. As he grew up the mother tried several methods of disciplining the child and found that taking away his toys or play time was the most effective. Physical force, like spanking, never seemed to help correct the child’s behavior, she said.

During the 2012 - 2013 school year, the mother testified, the child really liked having Connerley as his teacher. He would even say that he loved Connerley and that he wanted to marry her, the child’s mother said. In the beginning of 2013, the mother and the child’s teachers noticed that he was acting out more and becoming harder to control. In response the mother took the child to Glen Oaks Hospital, a psychiatric care facility in Greenville, twice before the end of the school year.

The day of the alleged assault, the mother was notified of the incident by Sarah Baker, the director of Fannin County Shared Services. Hearing of the assault made her feel "stunned," she said.

Since the incident the child has walked with a limp and moved his right shoulder in a strange way, the mother said.

Jarvis asked the mother about several aspects of the child’s behavior. He asked if the child was hard to control at home. Jarvis quoted minutes from parent-teacher meetings in which the mother had said that she believed the child’s behavior was getting worse. Jarvis asked about several specific incidents involving the child at school. She said she did not remember many of the incidents or details that Jarvis asked her about.

"You don’t remember (the child) already being out of control when he first got to school?" Jarvis asked.

In May of this year the mother had taken the child back to Glen Oaks Hospital once again. Jarvis asked why, if the child now walks with a limp, that was not indicated in records from the child’s most recent Glen Oaks visit. The records document "no physical abnormalities" on the child, Jarvis said. She said she did not know.

Testimony will continue at 9 a.m. Monday.