Anthony Weiner released after completing prison sentence


Anthony Weiner is free.


The former New York Democratic congressman and New York City mayoral candidate emerged from a Bronx halfway house on Tuesday after spending more than a year-and-a-half behind bars, first in Massachusetts and later in the Bronx.


“It’s good to be out,” the former congressman told the New York Post. “I hope to be able to live a life of integrity and service. I’m glad this chapter of my life is behind me.”


Weiner was released three months ahead of schedule for good behavior. He is registered as a Level 1 sex offender.


In May 2017, Weiner pleaded guilty to transferring obscene material to a girl he knew to be 15 years old. He also propositioned the girl via the messaging apps Skype and Snapchat to perform sexual acts on him.


He was sentenced to 21 months in prison that September.


Weiner later apologized to the girl, who was a high school student in North Carolina at the time, and called the crime his “rock bottom” at his sentencing. He began his prison term in November.


The crime also tarnished Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. The search warrant obtained by the FBI and the Southern District of New York for Weiner’s laptop led authorities to thousands of emails between Clinton and his wife Huma Abedin, a longtime Clinton aide. Abedin has since filed for divorce.


Former FBI Director James Comey wrote a letter informing Congress of new emails potentially pertinent to Clinton’s use of a private server days before the election.


Weiner abruptly resigned from Congress in 2011 after his first sexting scandal surfaced. He had been in Congress since 1999, replacing Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer in New York’s 9th District.


Weiner attempted a political comeback in 2013 and ran for mayor of New York, but revelations that he had continued sending explicit messages doomed his campaign.


— CQ-Roll Call

Hofstra University suspends fraternity after video of dog forced to drink beer goes viral


Hofstra University has suspended a fraternity after video shared on social media appears to show some of its members forcing a dog to drink beer at an off-campus party over the weekend.


The clip, which had more than 100,000 views on Twitter Tuesday morning, shows partygoers lift up the small copper-colored pup, and then turn it upside down over a keg. The dog squirms while someone in the background shouts, “Let’s go, keg stand!” as another person brings the tap to the dog’s mouth and sprays it in the face with beer.


Hofstra University condemned the incident at the Alpha Epsilon Pi house — which is located off-campus — and is investigating the incident. The fraternity also put the chapter on “cease and desist” for potential violations of its health and safety policies.


Gary Rogers of the Nassau County SPCA told CBS News one of the men featured in the video owns the 10-month-old Cavalier King Charles. He could face charges including “a misdemeanor for failure to provide adequate sustenance and overdrive and torture of an animal.”


“It’s wrong on every level,” he said of the clip. “It’s just not rational thinking.”


Rogers noted the dog is currently in good care and is slated to be returned to its owner, despite the incident.


— N.Y. Daily News

Theresa May to introduce bill implementing Brexit in early June


LONDON — British Prime Minister Theresa May’s government plans to introduce a bill in parliament implementing the Brexit deal in the first week of June, a spokesman confirmed late Tuesday.


“This evening the prime minister met the leader of the opposition in the House of Commons to make clear our determination to bring the talks to a conclusion and deliver on the referendum result to leave the EU,” the spokesman said.


“We will therefore be bringing forward the Withdrawal Agreement Bill in the week beginning the 3rd June. It is imperative we do so then if the UK is to leave the EU before the summer Parliamentary recess.


“Talks this evening between the prime minister and the leader of the opposition were both useful and constructive,” the spokesman added. The discussions were to resume Wednesday at an official level.


May’s Brexit deal with the EU has been rejected by the British parliament three times.


London’s original Brexit date of March 29 came and went without British parliamentary approval.


Should British MPs approve the Withdrawal Agreement Bill that May seeks to introduce in June — needed to make the Brexit deal British law — parliament would not have to vote again on her deal with the EU.


The British prime minister chaired a three-hour Cabinet meeting Tuesday to discuss progress on resolving the political impasse. Downing Street said ministers “agreed to continue discussions with Labour to see what was possible.”


It said the Cabinet discussed possible compromises by the government to secure the Labour leadership’s backing for a deal.


The ministers agreed that it was vital to steer the government’s EU Withdrawal Agreement Bill though parliament before the summer recess.


But Labour’s Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell said he had seen no “significant shift” by the government during the talks.


“We’re not near what we want,” McDonnell, a close ally of Labour’s left-wing leader Jeremy Corbyn, told a Wall Street Journal conference in London.


— dpa