The National Weather Service said Grayson County and the Texoma area are expected to see sunshine and above-average warmth this week, before a cold front brings the return of cooler temperatures and rain chances for yet another weekend.


“We’re looking at a high of 85 degrees on Wednesday and areas south and west of Sherman could even approach 90 degrees,” NWS Meteorologist Jason Godwin said. “But then we’ll have a sharp cold front come through late Wednesday night and we’ll see highs back in the 60s for Thursday, Friday and into the weekend.”


Speaking from the NWS’ Fort Worth field office Monday, Godwin said temperatures are expected to break into the low 80s on Tuesday and drop to the low 60s overnight. By Tuesday, Godwin said daytime highs will reach the mid 80s.


“Our normal high for this time of the year is right around 75 degrees or so,” Godwin said. “This is definitely above normal, but not unheard of by any means. In fact, for April 10, the record high temperatures are well into the 90s.”


With the arrival of a cold front late Wednesday night, Godwin said Texoma residents are likely to encounter windy conditions on Wednesday and Thursday, with gusts reaching as high as 35 mph and 25 mph, respectively. No precipitation is expected to accompany the initial front, but Godwin said the temperature will change considerably.


“It’ll be about a 20-degree difference between the highs on Wednesday and Thursday,” Godwin said. “There won’t be any kind of winter weather or really cold weather coming back, but it’s going to be bit cooler than folks might be expecting in early April.”


Daytime highs will remain in the mid 60s Thursday while the overnight low falls to roughly 42 degrees. Temperatures are expected to remain much the same Friday, but Godwin said the region stands a 20 percent chance of showers Friday night as a storm system pushes west across the Great Plains. Rain chances increase to 60 percent on Saturday and fall to 20 percent again on Sunday.


“Our highest rain chances will probably be on Saturday and Saturday night,” Godwin said. “At the moment, it doesn’t look like we really have to worry about severe weather or particularly heavy rainfall, but that could change. So, if you have plans Saturday, it’s definitely worth checking your forecast.”


Weekend temperatures are expected to hover in the lower to mid 60s during the daytime and drop to the mid 40s each night.


Drew Smith is a reporter for the Herald Democrat. Contact him at asmith@heralddemocrat.com or on Twitter @DrewSmithHD.