Preston Fire Rescue officials said a man injured in a garage fire at his Pottsboro home Monday told emergency responders that his dryer “blew up” before flames destroyed the structure and damaged a neighboring home.


Preston Fire Chief Keith Bates said crews from Pottsboro, Preston, Locust, Southmayd and North Texas Regional Airport —Perrin Field all responded to the home on Erin Drive at approximately 11:30 a.m. Bates said the first fire and paramedic teams to arrive on scene found the home heavily damaged and began to treat the injured homeowner, who said he was inside the garage when it burst into flames.


“He told the EMS people that his dryer blew up,” Bates said. “We don’t know exactly what that means just yet, but we did find propane-powered clothes dryers in there.”


Bates said the man was transported to Texoma Medical Center with first and second-degree burns on his hands and knees. Bates added he expected the man would also be flown to a Dallas area hospital for burn treatment and further examination.


“He was alert and conscious at the time of transport,” Bates said. “One of the things they were also concerned about was injury to his airway, because of the hot gasses he might have been breathing in.”


The chief said an exterior propane tank with lines connected to the structure was not damaged in the fire, but prompted crews to take additional safety measures while combating the flames. Bates said the garage and attached home both appeared to be total losses. Firefighters also battled flames that spread to a neighboring home, but were able to extinguish them before significant damage was done to the residence. No other injuries were reported.


Bates said the home’s distant location and a lack of water connections in the area presented a challenge to firefighters. Additional crews from Denison, Gunter and Whitesboro were tapped for assistance as well, but Bates said the request was later cancelled as firefighters already on scene brought the flames under control.


“Once again the mutual aid system in Grayson County worked exactly the way it was supposed to,” Bates said.


The exact cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Grayson County fire marshal.