Woman gives birth on Chicago bus on her way to hospital
CHICAGO — Her baby wasn’t due for another week, but when Guadalupe Lara began feeling contractions Wednesday morning, she and her husband hopped a No. 9 CTA bus for Mercy Hospital just in case.
They didn’t get very far. The baby girl decided to make her debut around 8:30 a.m. as the bus was still three miles from the hospital, according to the family and fire officials.
The driver pulled over and called for paramedics, who brought Lara and the baby to the University of Illinois Medical Center, where both were reported doing fine.
Lara told WGN-TV that she was surprised how quickly her daughter was born. She said her husband jumped up in shock to help her as the driver parked the bus.
Samantha Centeno-Lara weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces and was being kept in the neonatal ICU. Lara, 33, said she has three other children.
— Chicago Tribune
He worked for Cuba’s security forces — but lied about it on his U.S. papers, feds say
MIAMI — A Cuban citizen living in Miami is facing a federal charge after agents say he lied on his application to become a permanent U.S. resident.
Saul Santos Ferro, 73, faced a judge Wednesday who set his bond at $100,000 and placed him on house arrest with GPS monitoring. He was arrested Tuesday and charged with one count of making false statements on an immigration document.
While filling out his form in 2013, Santos Ferro “made a number of lies and misrepresentations in his application to register as a permanent resident which he knowingly presented to U.S. immigration authorities, ultimately obtaining lawful permanent resident status,” the attorney’s office said in a news release.
According to the indictment, Santos Ferro served as a high-ranking officer in the Cuban government’s Department of State Security or Departamento de Seguridad del Estado (DSE) for decades. When asked if he was involved in any organization, was involved in a police unit or ever detained any prisoners, he said no, attorneys wrote in the indictment.
In fact, the indictment charges, Santos Ferro knew he had been “a member of, assisted in, and participated in any military unit, paramilitary unit and police unit.”
And he wrote on his application that he had never served in any prison, jail or detention facility, when, in fact, he had, the indictment charges.
“Saul Santos Ferro allegedly lied to immigration authorities about his membership in the Cuban government’s internal security force to obtain lawful permanent residence status,” said Assistant Attorney General Brian Benczkowski in a news release. “The Justice Department will continue to aggressively prosecute those who seek to exploit our immigration system through fraud and deceit.”
— Miami Herald
After narrow victory in 2018, Georgia Rep. Rob Woodall won’t run in 2020
WASHINGTON — Georgia Rep. Rob Woodall barely survived 2018, and he’s decided not to try again in 2020.
The 7th District Republican told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Thursday he will not seek a sixth term.
He held on by just over 400 votes in a recount last fall, narrowly defeating Democrat Carolyn Bourdeaux, who’s running again. Republicans criticized Woodall for not taking his race seriously. He aired his first TV commercial the week before the election.
Woodall recently lost his father, a factor that he said contributed to his decision to call it quits.
“Doing what you love requires things of you, and having had that family transition made me start to think about those things that I have invested less in because I’ve been investing more here,” Woodall told the newspaper.
— CQ-Roll Call
Death toll rises to 10 in Istanbul building collapse
ISTANBUL — At least 10 people were killed in the collapse of a multi-story building in Istanbul, according to reports from pro-government media late Thursday.
The residential building came crashing down on Wednesday afternoon in Kartal, a densely populated district on the Asian side of Istanbul.
Ali Yerlikaya, Istanbul’s governor, had said hours earlier that the tragedy had claimed six lives.
A second night of intense rescue work was underway, with the head of the disaster management agency AFAD, Mehmet Gulluoglu, saying that rescuers could not determine how many more people remained trapped under the debris.
Yerlikaya said the number of people rescued stood at 13. The condition of two of three people listed as being in critical condition was improving.
On Thursday, 5-year-old Havva Tekgoz was rescued from the debris after 18 hours, according to state news agency Anadolu. Broadcast images showed her blinking as she was carried out on a stretcher, wearing a neck brace, to a waiting ambulance.
The governor told reporters Thursday evening that Havva was reunited with her mother, who was rescued Wednesday. Local media had videos of the terrified mother shouting “Is Havva alive?” as she was being brought to safety.
NTV reported she was the second child to be rescued. A 9-year-old boy was saved Wednesday.
Addressing reporters at the site of the accident, Yerlikaya said earlier Thursday that the girl had been talking to rescue crews from under the debris.
Search crews were asking bystanders to remain silent so that any screams for help from survivors could be heard.
Broadcast images showed police stopping a distraught man who said his children were under the rubble, as worried family members gathered around, crying.
The search was stopped three times in the middle of the night because there was a risk to neighboring apartments, prompting workers to evacuate seven buildings.