Undeclared missile bases have been discovered in North Korea, according to new report
President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will have something new to discuss in February.
An undisclosed North Korean missile base has been found 132 miles from the South Korean border, according to the nonpartisan think tank Beyond Parallel.
The Sino-ri Missile Operating Base is the latest of up to 20 undisclosed bases to have been identified outside of the facilities the North Koreans have declared in denuclearization negotiations with the West, according to the report.
The newly discovered base may have been instrumental in developing North Korea’s Pukkosong-2 missile, which caught military watchers by surprise when it was tested in Feb. 2017.
“The Sino-ri missile operating base and the Nodong missiles deployed at this location fit into North Korea’s presumed nuclear military strategy by providing an operational-level nuclear or conventional first strike capability against targets located both throughout the Korean Peninsula and in most of Japan,” the report reads.
Said to be guarded by anti-aircraft artillery and surface-to-air defense systems, the newly spotted facility is not yet thought to have been a part of peace talks between North Korea and the international community.
— N.Y. Daily News
Bernie Sanders calls Trump a racist on Martin Luther King Day
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders says he wants to stop President Donald Trump’s vision to “Make America Great Again.”
“Today we say to Donald Trump — We are not going back to more bigotry, discrimination and division,” Sanders told a South Carolina audience Monday at an event marking Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
“Instead of bringing us together as Americans, he has purposely and aggressively attempted to divide us up by the color of our skin, by our gender, by our nationality, by our religion and by our sexual orientation.”
Sanders made headlines shortly before the midterms when he laid into the president as “the most racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted president in history.” He repeated part of that claim Monday.
“We, today, have a president who is a racist,” Sanders, 77, said.
Democrats old and young seem to have reached that conclusion. Freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, 29, said earlier this month that calling the president a bigot is a no-brainer.
“Yeah, yeah, no question,” the New Yorker said during a CBS “60 Minutes” interview after being asked that question. Among the examples she cited were Trump calling Nazi sympathizers in the 2017 Unite the Right ralley in Charlottesville, Va., riots “good people.”
“The president certainly didn’t invent racism,” Ocasio-Cortez pointed out, “but he’s certainly given a voice to it and expanded it and created a platform for those things.”
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, a longtime civil right activist who was beaten in the 1965 protests in Selma, Ala., told ABC “This Week” that he, too, thought Trump was a bigot following the president’s alleged remarks indicating nonwhite nations were “s—-holes.”
“I think he is a racist,” Lewis said.
After spending last year’s MLK Day at his private Mar-a-Lago country club in Florida, the president this year placed a wreath before a King memorial in D.C. on Monday, where he and Vice President Mike Pence spent two minutes.
— N.Y. Daily News
Girl, 12, dies after snow fort collapses near church
CHICAGO — A 12-year-old girl who was playing in the snow with a friend died after a fort they had built by a suburban church collapsed on top of them Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
The girl was playing with a 9-year-old girl near Rothem Church at 106 E. College Drive in Arlington Heights, Ill., when the snowbank fell on them, the Arlington Heights Police Department said in a news release.
The 12-year-old was pronounced dead about 4:30 p.m. at Northwest Community Hospital, police said. The younger girl was treated for hypothermia and remains at the hospital. She is expected to survive, said Sgt. Charles Buczynski.
The girls were at church with their families and went outside to play, police said. When an hour had passed and the girls hadn’t returned, the families went outside to look for them and found them buried in the snow.
Relatives and church members had pulled the girls out of the snow by the time police and fire crews arrived about 2:40 p.m., Buczynski said.
“It’s just a tragic accident,” Buczynski said.
— Chicago Tribune
Man charged with shooting out Domino’s window because pizza wasn’t ready
DETROIT — A Detroit man who allegedly shot out the window of a Domino’s Pizza because his order wasn’t ready has been charged with several felonies.
Devante Alvin Norfleet, 26, of Detroit reportedly became upset that his pizza was not ready last Tuesday night at the Domino’s in the 10400 block of McNichols in Detroit. He reportedly spoke to a manager about a refund before leaving.
However, once outside the Domino’s, Norfleet allegedly pulled out a gun and shot through the front window, causing it to shatter, the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said.
Two workers were in the area when shots were fired, but were not injured, the prosecutor’s office said.
Norfleet fled, but was taken into custody on Friday, the prosecutor’s office said.
He has been charged with one count of discharging a weapon at a building, two counts of felonious assault and three counts of felony firearm, according to the prosecutor’s office.
— Detroit Free Press