Roderick Mask won’t be getting a lowered bond for Christmas this year. The Sherman man was indicted back in September on an attempted murder charge in the shooting of his ex-wife’s boyfriend.

Mask has pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder charge as well as the deadly conduct discharge of a firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon charges he faces. In court on Thursday, Mask’s attorney Timothy Brown said the $350,000 in bonds that go with those charges make it impossible for his client to raise the needed money to get out of jail to await his trial. That trial is set for Feb. 18.

Brown said his client has been in jail for more than 90 days and the state said it is not ready to go to trial at this point. He said that means that the state should have to offer him a personal recognizance bond or a “reasonable bond” to allow him to make bail and go home.

Assistant Grayson County District Attorney Don Hoover said the state will be ready to go to trial in February. He said that Mask’s indictment means that the rule stating he must be allowed a personal recognizance bond after 90 days does not apply. And, Hoover said, the bond that is currently in place is reasonable, considering the charges Mask faces and his previous criminal record.

Court documents allege that on Oct. 3, 2017, Mask fired a gun at Desean Price in Denison near Mundt Drive with the intent to commit murder. The affidavit also says Mask threatened Price with imminent bodily injury and exhibited a handgun.

The court documents show this was not Mask’s first run-in with the law. He was previously convicted of tampering with evidence back in 2014. His use of the gun in the attack on Price, the court documents state, comes within five years of Mask’s conviction of that felony. Additionally, the documents state, Mask was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon back in 2005.

A police report quotes Price as telling officers he was on his way back from a storage facility on Oct. 3, when Mask, who is Price’s girlfriend’s ex-husband, stopped him. Price said Mask opened the sunroof of his vehicle and pointed a firearm at Price. Mask then stepped out of the car and began firing at Price. As he was still in his vehicle, Price backed up into a nearby yard where he struck another car. Price then drove around the block and returned to his home.

Price told police that the shooting was not the first bit of trouble between the two. He said that about a week before the shooting, he and Mask happened to be at the same gas station. Price said Mask bumped into him and they exchanged words. Price said they continued to argue outside and Mask pulled a gun out of his SUV. Price said he and Mask’s ex-wife have been together for two years and Mask has tried to cause problems and make threats that entire time.

Mask was booked into the Grayson County Jail on May 12. He has been in jail awaiting trial for more than six months. However, Judge Larry Phillips said the seriousness of the charges Mask faces and his criminal history factored into the decision to leave the bond at $350,000.