Wilma Bush, the Republican incumbent for Grayson County Clerk, drew her first opponent for the first time since she won the election in 2002.

Bush defeated Democratic challenger Karen Spencer with 32,000, votes or 75.62 percent to her opponent's 10,316 votes or 24.38 percent.

Early voting in the election had Bush ahead with 22,372 votes to Spencer’s 7,289.

Bush has held the seat since January 2003. She has made it her platform to digitize the county records. She said they have digitized deed records all the way back to 1846. Marriage, death and birth records have also been digitized. She said the court is entirely digital now.

Bush wasn’t phased by drawing an opponent. She said, she plans to continue doing what she has always done.

“I always run through the finish line. Whether I have an opponent or not, nothing changes the way I do my job,” Bush said. “The county clerk is the custodian of records for the county. A person's entire life history is recorded in the clerk's office. The first thing I did was wrote an archive plan to digitize the entire office. I have been working on that for 16 years. I want to continue to accomplish my goal of digitizing the entire office.”

Spencer said it was a great experience and she learned a lot about the people in the community.

“I don’t have any regrets,” Spencer said. “I think the people really supported me. I am happy either way. I will still be doing something in this community. I will be giving back in some way that has not changed. I come from a generation of people who worked to make a change in their community.”

Spencer said she knew it was a tough race when her opponent received nearly twice as many votes as she did during the primaries. She said it’s always hard to go up against someone in the position.

Spencer got into the race because she completed her education and wanted to use her recently acquired master's degree in some way to benefit the community. She said she had a lot of people in the Democratic party pushing her to run, so she decided to do so.

Final results wouldn’t be available until mail-in ballots had been counted. Those ballots had to be postmarked by Tuesday and received by Wednesday to count.