Former Rep. John Dingell suffers heart attack
WASHINGTON — Former Michigan Rep. John Dingell suffered a heart attack Monday morning, according to his wife and congressional successor, Democratic Rep. Debbie Dingell.
“It appears John Dingell had a heart attack early this morning,” Debbie Dingell said in a statement. “He’s alert and in good spirits, cracking jokes like always. He’s in the process of being admitted to Henry Ford Hospital. Our sincere thanks to all the medical professionals and nurses at our sides. We’ll know more later.”
Rep. John D. Dingell is the longest-serving member of Congress, serving from 1955 till his retirement in 2015.
— CQ-Roll Call
Orlando, officer ask judge to dismiss Pulse victims’ civil rights lawsuit
ORLANDO, Fla. — The city of Orlando is asking a federal judge to dismiss a civil rights lawsuit filed on the behalf of victims and survivors of the 2016 mass shooting at Pulse nightclub.
The suit was filed in June. It accuses Orlando police Detective Adam Gruler, who was working an extra-duty shift at the club, of failing to intervene to stop gunman Omar Mateen’s rampage.
The suit also claims that Orlando police unlawfully detained Pulse survivors for hours after the massacre was over.
When Mateen walked into the club and began shooting at 2:02 a.m. on June 12, 2016, Gruler fired at him from two different spots outside Pulse, but did not enter the club to pursue the shooter.
Additional officers arrived within minutes, but police didn’t enter the club until 2:08 a.m. — by which time Mateen had fired more than 200 rounds, according to Orlando police estimates.
“Entering the club to neutralize Shooter would have in fact been risking his life, but that was Gruler’s job,” the suit claims — adding Gruler “lost his nerve” and chose his own safety.
But a motion filed Friday by lawyers for Gruler and the city argues Gruler’s reaction to the sudden violence at Pulse doesn’t constitute a violation of the victims’ right to due process.
The Constitution’s due process clause “simply does not require a lone police officer to enter a building and ‘neutralize’ an active shooter armed with an assault rifle,” the motion says.
The motion cites rulings from cases filed after the 1999 massacre of 13 people at Columbine High School, which sided with officers accused of failing to intervene before or during the killings.
“The situation at Pulse, like Columbine, was a ‘volatile emergency situation the scope and nature of which was unprecedented,’” lawyers for the city and Gruler argue in the motion to dismiss.
Forty-nine people were killed and were dozens injured in the mass shooting at Pulse. Dozens of victims and survivors are listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit.
— Orlando Sentinel
Elon Musk sued by cave diver over ‘pedo guy’ and ‘child rapist’ accusations
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Some of Elon Musk’s choicest words are coming back to haunt him.
On Monday, Vern Unsworth, the British cave diver whom Musk called “pedo guy” and a “child rapist” sued the Tesla chief executive for libel and slander in a U.S. district court in California, according to a report from CNBC.
Unsworth, a cave diver who aided in the rescue of a Thai boys soccer team and their coach from a flooded cave in Thailand in June, became the subject of Musk’s ire after Unsworth chided Musk’s offer of a mini-submarine to use in the team’s rescue efforts.
Not long after Unsworth questioned Musk’s attempt to help in the team’s rescue, Musk went on Twitter and called Unsworth “pedo guy,” using a British slang term for pedophile. Musk eventually apologized to Unsworth, on Twitter, but then raised the matter again earlier this month when he referred to Unsworth as a “child rapist” in a tweet.
Musk has not offered up any concrete evidence to back up his statements about Unsworth.
Tesla didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on Unsworth’s suit.
— The Mercury News
Sheriff’s Office identifies suspect in fatal shooting of Sedgwick County deputy
WICHITA, Kan. — Robert C. Greeson has been identified as the suspect in the fatal shooting of Deputy Robert Kunze — a 12-year veteran with the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office.
Greeson, 29, allegedly shot and killed Kunze during a call to check a suspicious character on Sunday afternoon. The suspect also died during the incident.
Greeson had convictions in Ellis County for a 2010 aggravated battery and for distributing hallucinogens in 2009, Kansas Department of Corrections records show. He had another drug conviction for a 2012 drug crime in Pawnee County.
Before his sentence ended on June 8, he had been supervised in Kingman County and Greeley County in late 2017.
In the past several years, the records show, he had been in and out of prison and spent some time in Sedgwick County.
One of his several prison discipline reports was for fighting in 2013 at Hutchinson Correctional Facility. He completed substance abuse and work-release programs.
In November 2016, Greeson was charged with felony burglary and theft at Via Christi Inn in Wichita. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanors and was put on probation in 2017. Court records also show that a judge extended Greeson’s probation to April 2019 because he failed to pay full court costs, fees and restitution.
On Sunday, Kunze was called at around 1:18 p.m. to the area of North 295th Street West and West 21st Street, just north of Garden Plain and about 20 miles west of downtown Wichita.
When Kunze arrived at about 1:42 p.m. Sunday, he saw a person who matched the description of the suspicious character, The Eagle previously reported. Then, at about 1:48 p.m., Kunze “activated the emergency button on his portable radio,” Sheriff Jeff Easter said during a Sunday evening news conference.
Another deputy responded and found both Kunze and Greeson on the ground.
Kunze was shot once in his upper torso above his ballistic vest, Easter said. The suspect was shot in his upper torso and waist.
Kunze was taken to Via Christi Hospital St. Francis by ambulance and pronounced dead at around 2:55 p.m.
Greeson was pronounced dead at the scene.
— The Wichita Eagle