Trump administration moves to detain immigrant children longer


WASHINGTON — The Homeland Security Department is proposing a new rule that would allow for the prolonged detention of undocumented migrant children by replacing a 1997 legal settlement that President Donald Trump has called a “loophole” causing more illegal immigration.


The 203-page proposed rule, published jointly with the Health and Human Services Department in the Federal Register on Thursday, would trigger the end of the so-called Flores settlement. A federal judge has ruled the settlement means children cannot be held in detention for longer than 20 days and should be released with a parent if possible.


Under the proposed rule, DHS would be able to hold children in custody together with their parents for the duration of their immigration proceedings, ending for some migrants a practice that Trump has derided as “catch-and-release.”


The proposed rule “would satisfy the basic purpose of the (Flores settlement) in ensuring that all juveniles in the government’s custody are treated with dignity, respect, and special concern for their particular vulnerability as minors,” DHS said in the Federal Register.


— CQ Roll Call

Parkland students featured in new get out the vote video


FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — HeadCount.org has released a new video with Parkland students and graduates to inspire young people to vote in the upcoming Nov. 6 elections.


The video opens with a brief narration by Parkland school shooting survivor Cameron Kasky who is heard declaring “Today is the beginning of a bright new future for this country” and “the voters are coming.”


The video then unfolds in a series of montages of young people including Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School classmates and grads David Hogg, his sister Lauren and Emma Gonzalez.


Actor Amandla Stenberg, who played Rue in “The Hunger Games” and starred in another movie “Everything Everything,” is also featured in the video along with rapper Kevin Abstract of the hip-hop group Brockhampton.


HeadCount.org is a New York-based nonprofit group that uses music to get people to vote online or in person through voter registration drives at concerts.


Gonzalez, Hogg and other Parkland students and graduates spent the summer traveling the country for the “Road To Change” tour urging people to register to vote.


— South Florida Sun Sentinel

Police raid home of couple accused of stealing GoFundMe money from homeless vet


PHILADELPHIA — Law enforcement officials converged Thursday on the New Jersey home of the couple accused of stealing money from a GoFundMe campaign set up to help Johnny Bobbitt, a homeless man whose kindness to a stranger touched hearts across the nation and beyond.


Several investigators searched the Burlington County home of Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico, who set up the fund to help Bobbitt after he spent his last $20 to buy gas for McClure when her car stalled on an I-95 overpass near Kensington last year.


The campaign was wildly successful, attracting contributions of more than $400,000. But the couple’s stated plans to get Bobbitt a home and set up two trusts to ensure his financial independence quickly dissolved, and Bobbitt accused them of squandering the money on vacations, a BMW and gambling. He sued them to try to recover the donated funds, but earlier this week, a lawyer for the couple said the money was gone.


Early Thursday, Florence Township police and investigators from the Burlington County prosecutor’s office executed a search warrant on the couple’s home as part of a criminal investigation, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office said.


On Wednesday, a Superior Court judge ordered McClure and D’Amico to give sworn testimony about their stewardship of the money in depositions scheduled for Monday. Their lawyer, Ernest E. Badway, said at the time that McClure and D’Amico would invoke their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.


— The Philadelphia Inquirer

Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones over ‘abusive behavior’


Twitter banned Infowars founder Alex Jones from the social media platform Thursday for violating its “abusive behavior” rules.


The company announced it had permanently suspended @realalexjones and @infowars from both Twitter and Periscope in reaction to a series of tweets including video footage of Jones confronting CNN reporter Oliver Darcy and calling him “the equivalent of like the Hitler Youth.”


“We took this action based on new reports of Tweets and videos posted yesterday that violate our abusive behavior policy, in addition to the accounts’ previous violations,” Twitter said in a statement.


A series of other provocations factored into Twitter’s decision, the company said.


The move comes after Apple, Facebook and YouTube also banned the right-wing conspiracy theorist for propagating hate speech.


— N.Y. Daily News

Remains of 166 people discovered in southeastern Mexico


MEXICO CITY — Mexican authorities have discovered the remains of 166 people in secret graves, prosecutors said Thursday.


The remains found in the southeastern state of Veracruz dated from at least two years ago.


They were discovered in an area of 300 square meters after police were tipped off. The graves contained bones, clothes, identity documents and other personal objects, Veracruz Attorney General Jorge Winckler said.


Prosecutors did not reveal the exact location of the graves to protect people still excavating the site.


The region is plagued by drug traffickers and has one of the highest murder rates in Mexico.


— dpa

Brazilian front-runner Jair Bolsonaro stabbed on campaign trail


RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil’s far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro, who leads opinion polls, was stabbed during a rally Thursday afternoon, according to local media reports.


Bolsonaro’s son, Flavio, confirmed on Twitter that his father was stabbed in the abdomen in the city of Juiz de Fora, in the state of Minas Gerais, but said he is doing fine. He called it an “attack.” Video footage shown on TV from the event showed Bolsonaro clutching his stomach and grimacing as he sat atop supporters’ shoulders.


The police already have a suspect in custody, according to the press office of the local military police department.


Brazil’s President Michel Temer quickly issued a statement, saying “intolerance is unacceptable.”


Brazil’s stocks and the currency rose after the reports, with the benchmark stock Ibovespa Index climbing as much as 1.25 percent.


Brazil will hold general elections in October. Bolsonaro in recent weeks had taken to campaigning with a bulletproof vest.


— Bloomberg News