The hottest week of the year so far has seemed even hotter at the Grayson County Justice Center.

Grayson County Facilities Management Director Greg Allen said things were looking up Friday with the introduction of some portable air conditioning units.

While the District Attorney and District Clerk’s offices along with those of the three state and two county courts sweltered for part of the week, Grayson County Sheriff Tom Watt said the jail was not dealing with the same problems.

Allen said they had a compressor that was ready to go down and it was supposed to be replaced back in February, but for some reason it wasn’t. So he decided to try to get it replaced this past week.

The replacement was supposed to be done over the weekend and, had everything gone according to plan, it would have been done before people returned to work.

Of course, things didn’t go as planned.

“The coils (that were needed for the compressor) were too big. They wouldn’t fit,” Allen said. He said they had to be custom made in the first place so it wasn’t like they could just go get another one off the shelf somewhere.

He said Carrier, the company that was making the repairs, tried to get the company that produces the coils to fast track some new ones, but that company wouldn’t comply. So, they had to get a third company involved. The new coils have been ordered and should ship, he said, by July 5. They expect to have everything replaced and working again by July 10.

Allen said Carrier, the company that was responsible for changing out the compressor, had been doing everything it can to try to keep the Justice Center cool.

“They brought in a temporary 80-ton unit at their expense,” Allen said before noting that didn’t work because they couldn’t get it close enough to the building. So, they switched to portable units that were making a difference on Friday. He said there were 15 of those units in place at the Justice Center now.

“Everybody’s gotten a little bit grumpy,” Allen said of the situation before he laughed and added, ”believe me, I want it fixed.”

The old system, he said, has lasted since the building went up in 1984. The new system will cost over $100,000 when it is all said and done and should last as long, he said.