Two different structure fires kept Sherman firefighters busy Sunday morning as temperatures dropped and freezing precipitation fell.

At around 12:30 a.m. crews were called to the 200 block of East King Street, where a convenience store had caught fire.

Sherman Fire-Rescue Fire Marshal Danny Fuller said when crews arrived there was heavy smoke and firefighters made entry into the business to extinguish the blaze. The convenience store is a total loss and the two neighboring businesses — a salon and a restaurant, Pico De Gallo — sustained smoke and water damage.

Fuller said the business had closed at midnight and employees had left the store. The fire is not believed to be suspicious, and Fuller said a mechanical failure of some type seems the likely cause.

Around 9:30 a.m. crews responded to a house fire along 1417 near Old Dorchester Road. Fuller said one-third of the single-story home is a total loss and the rest sustained smoke and water damage.

Danny Brenton, who lives at the home, said he had just left taking the only other occupant, his dog, with him before the fire broke out.

Fuller said this fire appears to have been started by a combustible material being too close to a heat source.