Nearly a dozen residents were displaced, but none were injured Monday evening after a Sherman apartment building briefly caught fire.

Sherman Fire-Rescue Division Chief Chris Olson said the fire broke out at in a second story unit of the Easton Parc Apartments in the 1600 block of LaSalle Drive, forcing residents of the affected building to evacuate. Olson said crews from all of Sherman’s five fire stations responded to the scene as a precaution and were able to gain control of the flames within a matter of minutes. The division chief said the fire may have started on a stove.

“It was kitchen fire or a cooking fire,” Olson said. “That’s what it appears to be at this time, but it’s still under investigation.”

Olson described the second story unit where the fire began as “heavily damaged” and said portions of the third floor sustained smoke damage. He said roughly half the building’s residents, 10-12 tenants are expected to be displaced by the fire and clean up.