One person is dead and two others are critically injured after a construction accident at the River Ranch Apartments on FM 1417 in Sherman. Officials say a crew was moving a flag pole when it was caught by the wind and fell into an electric line.

(Editor's note: This article has been updated throughout.)

A construction accident at a Sherman Apartment complex caused the electrocution of one person and critically injured two others Wednesday morning.

A work crew was moving a flagpole located in front of the River Ranch Apartments when wind caused the pole to fall onto a power line. Sherman Fire-Rescue Chief Danny Jones said a call reporting the construction accident came in at about 9:30 a.m. from the complex located at 303 S. FM 1417. Jones said three people were injured and all were transported to Wilson N. Jones Regional Medical Center.

WNJ Spokesperson Cathy Black said all three were transported in critical condition, and one of the workers died from his injuries. The other two were transported to the burn unit at Medical City Plano. Authorities have not released the identities of the workers.

Sherman Fire-Rescue personnel cleared from the scene of the accident about an hour after arriving as Oncor personnel took control. Oncor Area Manager Todd Thompson said the injured people appeared to be with a plumbing crew working at the apartments. A Red River Plumbing pickup with a trailer was parked next to the accident scene. A phone call placed to the business’s listed number was not returned Wednesday afternoon. The manager of the apartment complex declined to comment on the accident.

“It appears that they were removing the flagpole from a sleeve, and the wind caught the flagpole, and the flagpole fell into the primary voltage,” Thompson said.

Thompson said power was cut to the apartment complex so first responders could retrieve the injured people and transport them to the hospital. The power remained off until Oncor personnel cleared from the scene. Thompson said Oncor internal claims personnel were investigating the accident.

“We take these very serious anytime the public is involved in our power lines,” Thompson said.

Thompson noted that Wednesday morning the flagpole, though still leaning on the power lines, was moved off the primary voltage line. The pole was later removed after crews documented and evaluated the scene.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to the people that were injured,” Thompson said.

Herald Democrat Executive Editor Jonathan Cannon contributed to this report.