After a morning of emotional testimony and one strange closing argument, jurors in Garth Claytor’s trial on murder charges in the death of his mother, Sheila Claytor, took just a few minutes to find him guilty of felony murder.

(Editor's note: This article has been updated throughout and to correct Garth Claytor's city of residence.)

After a morning of emotional testimony and one strange closing argument, jurors in Garth Claytor’s trial on murder charges in the death of his mother, Sheila Claytor, took just a few minutes to find him guilty of felony murder.

Sheila Claytor’s decomposing body was found in her home on Debbie Court in Collinsville on Dec. 17, 2015. She had been stabbed more than 60 times and her throat had been slashed from ear to ear.

The verdict was not surprising considering Claytor, who has acted as his own attorney in the case, had told them a couple of times during his opening statement and again a couple of times during his closing statement that he was guilty of murder against his mother and himself but not against the state.

The state will start the day Thursday trying to send Claytor away to prison for as long as possible.

Claytor had yet to ask a single question of any witness or call any witness when it came time for the closing arguments in guilt or innocence portion of the case Wednesday. When he and the prosecutors were trying to hammer out the charge in the case, Claytor said there was something he wanted to change.

The charge is the law that the jury must use to make a decision in the case. Claytor wanted the jury to be given the option of finding him guilty of a lesser included offense of voluntary manslaughter. That would mean, Grayson County First Assistant District Attorney Kerye Ashmore explained, that there was some evidence introduced in the trial that showed he recklessly caused his mother’s death. Judge Rayburn Nall Jr. listened to both sides explain their opinions on the charge and then appeared to mull it over for a few minutes. He then said he couldn’t think of any evidence that would support the charge that Claytor wanted to add to the instructions.

The whole room seemed to be sitting on the edge of their seats as Claytor was asked if he intended to make a closing statement. He said he intended to tell the jury what happened. At that point, Ashmore reminded Claytor that he could make statements about what he thought the evidence that had been introduced meant, but he couldn’t just stand up and tell the jury what happened without taking the stand.

When it finally came time for Claytor to talk, the 33-year-old stood up at counsel table and looked across the room at the jury. And then he just stood there for what felt like five minutes but was probably actually less than two. Some jurors starred back at him, some with quizzical looks on their faces, others looked away from him. Judge Nall nudged Claytor a bit and the defendant said he was just taking his time.

When he finally spoke again, he said much of the evidence that had been presented in the case was true. He said he found himself at war with himself because there was no way for him to take the stand to tell the jury what happened, from his point of view, without repeating things he had done before.

He said he had committed murder against his mother and himself and God, but he didn’t see how he had done anything against Texas. He said he would be guilty of the offense of slander if he started talking about what happened.

“I am trying to learn how not to argue,” he said and then added something about the fact that he wasn’t going to argue with the jury about their returning anything other than a guilty verdict.

Then he said while a lot of the evidence presented in the case was correct, he didn’t do to his mother the things that were shown in the pictures presented to the jury.

“It is such a conflicting situation; what does that say?” he said.

Then he turned and looked at Ashmore and said, “You speak Greek, and I am speaking Hebrew, but I understand your language now.”

He then told the jury that he had a lot of anger (back when his mother died) but now he has learned to look inside himself for answers.

In a statement filled with long, pregnant pauses, long enough to birth entire classrooms full of children, Claytor repeatedly seemed to lose his train of thought.

“I am at war with myself. How can I defend myself and say that is why I did what I did,” he said.

Then a few seconds later, he said he was an ugly person most of his life and then said, “It wasn’t all in vain.”

Then he talked about Jesus Christ being the creator of everyone and being personal to everyone. Clayton appeared to look down at this notes from time to time said, “I am not trying to convince y’all of anything. I think I understand this. I am sorry for what I have done.”

He ended by thanking the jury for their time and saying it made a difference.

Assistant Grayson County District Attorney Brett Smith strode swiftly into the well and started digging through boxes of evidence.

“Honor thy mother and father. Though shall not kill,” Smith said as he placed some evidence on the stand in front of the jury.

Smith said it is fine for Claytor to talk about religion. “That judgment will come another day in another time.” Smith said.

He urged the jury to remember that videotape that showed Claytor ranting and raving at the Collinsville police officer on the front steps of the home where his Sheila Claytor would be found dead just days later.

Smith then reminded them of the bottles of pills and alcohol found in the car that Claytor took to Las Vegas. The prosecutor urged the jury to remember that Claytor’s life back then was about getting high and getting his way.

Looking at a photo of Mrs. Claytor, Smith said,” This is not suicide. This is not self-defense.” He said it was murder, clear and simple. The jury took just 15 minutes to say they agreed.