WASHINGTON — An aide to President Donald Trump promised Tuesday that the White House will soon restore a Spanish-language website, which went dark after his inauguration Friday.


“We’re just building up,” said Helen Aguirre Ferre, director of media affairs. “It’s just day two on the job.”


Aguirre Ferre, a former bilingual media personality who headed Spanish-language communications for the Republican National Committee before joining Trump’s White House, said the new administration is building out more content in both English and Spanish.


Trump criticized opponents in the Republican primary for communicating in Spanish. But Aguirre Ferre said the removal of a link offering Spanish translation on the White House website was not deliberate.


—Tribune Washington Bureau


———


Minnesota governor reveals prostate cancer diagnosis


MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said Tuesday that he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.


Dayton revealed his diagnosis at a news conference the morning after he collapsed during his State of the State speech, which cut it short. He told reporters Tuesday morning that his outlook is good but that he expects to know more next week after additional medical tests.


Dayton also said he’s headed to the Mayo Clinic later Tuesday for a checkup after his fainting episode, which saw him slump forward and strike his head on a lectern at the front of the House chamber while delivering his speech. But the Democratic governor was back up and walking Tuesday morning, and held a lengthy session with reporters to unveil his 2017-18 budget proposal and to address questions about his health.


“I’ll be 70 on Thursday. I feel very blessed to have as healthy of a life as I’ve had,” Dayton said. He said a recent physical revealed a tumor, and that a biopsy last Wednesday confirmed it.


Dayton said he had initially planned to reveal his cancer diagnosis next week after his next scheduled tests. He said he still intends to finish his current term in office, which ends at the beginning of 2018.


—Star Tribune (Minneapolis)


———


Standing Rock Sioux planning lawsuit over Trump’s order on Dakota Access Pipeline


SEATTLE — While President Donald Trump issued an executive order Tuesday intended to advance construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, restarting the stalled project may not be simple.


Jan Hasselman, attorney for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe in North Dakota, said Tuesday the tribe would push back with a lawsuit defending the decision by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to undertake a full environmental impact review that includes looking at alternative routes for the 1,100-mile oil pipeline through four states.


The tribe has opposed the pipeline out of concern a spill could pollute drinking water in the Missouri River and threaten Native American cultural sites.


The tribe quickly issued a statement in response to Trump’s executive action, declaring the order a violation of its treaty rights and the rule of law.


“The Trump Administration’s politically motivated decision violates the law and the Tribe will take action to fight it,” Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault II said in a prepared statement.


The Corps withheld action on the easement late last year and instead called for an environmental review that could take more than a year.


The pipeline company, Energy Transfer Partner, needs an easement from the Corps to complete the final crossing under the river. Trump’s executive order asked the review be expedited and also that the Corps consider rescinding the decision to undertake the environmental review and just issue the easement.


If the easement is granted, construction on the crossing could begin and continue unless a court took action to stop it. The necessary work takes about two weeks, working 24 hours shifts. But the job could take far longer — or not get started at all — depending on court decisions.


Crews are already in hotels waiting to get to work, and all equipment is on site to begin the job, a source close to the project said.


—The Seattle Times


———


Judge rules against UK student newspaper in sexual harassment document dispute


LEXINGTON, Ky. — A Fayette Circuit Court Judge ruled against the University of Kentucky’s student newspaper, the Kentucky Kernel, Monday in their quest to review investigative documents in a sexual harassment case involving a former UK professor.


Judge Thomas Clark agreed with the university that releasing the documents would allow the victims to be identified, even if their names and other identifying information were redacted. He also agreed with UK that the investigative documents are exempt from public disclosure under a federal student privacy law.


The Kentucky Kernel wrote about the case of James Harwood, who left UK after investigators alleged he had sexually harassed or abused several graduate students. His case was never adjudicated.


The Kernel asked for the investigative documents in the case, but was refused by UK, which cited federal privacy laws. The Kernel appealed and state Attorney General Andy Beshear found UK in violation of the state’s Open Records Act. UK then appealed Beshear’s decision in Fayette Circuit Court.


—Lexington Herald-Leader


———


10 Haitian migrants found dead off Turks and Caicos


MIAMI — The bodies of 10 Haitian migrants were discovered in the Turks and Caicos Islands Tuesday, where a search for survivors and possibly more casualties is expected to resume Wednesday.


Police found at least five of the bodies ashore after being called at 6:34 a.m. to a secluded area of Providenciales about people “running into the bushes on the northwest point,” said Royal Turks and Caicos Police Force spokesman Kevin Clarke.


Immigration and police officers were immediately dispatched, and the U.S. Coast Guard was also called in to help with a massive search.


“We know there are survivors, but none has been captured by the police,” Clarke said.


A small fishing boat, painted in the blue and red colors of the Haitian flag, was seen capsized along the beach. Clarke said police officers have yet to confirm if that is the boat on which the migrants traveled.


“It’s a very small boat,” he said. “We still don’t know how many persons came.”


It is unclear how the migrants may have died, but the waters off the island’s northwest point can be treacherous especially during bad weather like the kind the islands experienced Tuesday morning.


—Miami Herald


Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.