One man was transported to the hospital overnight after a small fire broke out at the Renaissance-Sherman retirement community.

Sherman Fire-Rescue Chief Danny Jones said the fire appeared to be accidental and was started by a male resident living on the third floor of the facility shortly after midnight. Jones said an unidentified item was left on or near the stove, which was powered on, and caught fire.

“The facility’s sprinkler system worked as it was designed and basically put the fire out before our arrival,” Jones said. “The biggest thing we had to deal with was the smoke.”

Jones said that the third floor residents exited their rooms on their own accord and were assisted to the opposite end of the building by staff as precaution. The male resident of the unit where the fire started was transported to a hospital for smoke inhalation and Jones said he believed the patient was released shortly after he received treatment. No other injuries were reported.

The Sherman-Fire-Rescue Chief said the actual amount of fire damage was relatively small, but water from the sprinkler system caused more damage to the apartment where the fire originated and to several units on the floor below.

Jones encouraged residents and homeowners to be mindful of their work while cooking and when in the kitchen.

“Keep combustibles away from any type of heat source and don’t leave food attended on the stove,” Jones said.