Flames caused extensive damage to a home near Gordonville Thursday night and authorities said the flames were caused by a fireplace.


Firefighters from multiple area departments responded at about 9:30 p.m. to the structure fire in the 4500 block of Ranch Road near the unincorporated community of Gordonville. Grayson County Deputy Fire Marshal Kerry Price said the flames started by the fireplace and moved up into the attic.


“It got into the attic space and went off inside there,” Price said. “It just ran across the attic space and had plenty of oxygen to do so.”


After firefighters from Gordonville, Sherwood Shores and Whitesboro arrived on the scene, the flames were contained in about 45 minutes.


“They got in there and made a quick knockdown on it,” Price said of the fire.


The structure did receive significant damage to the roof and ceiling inside the house, and Price said he’s not sure whether it’s a total loss. Price investigated the cause and said it appears accidental. No occupants of the house were present when the fire erupted. Price said the wood-burning fireplace appeared to have caused the fire.