CALERA, Okla. — Jane Rogers gets up every morning and has the very same breakfast — a Dr Pepper and a honey bun. She likes it and doesn’t have to cook anything.

CALERA, Okla. — Jane Rogers gets up every morning and has the very same breakfast — a Dr Pepper and a honey bun. She likes it and doesn’t have to cook anything.

After a century of living, this friendly, little lady with a sweet tooth has earned the right to start her day any way she pleases, as well as to enjoy the many types of candy that can be found within arm’s reach around her living room. It hasn’t seemed to negatively affect her health at all, according to those who know her best. Though she uses a walker, she has no serious health issues.

Rogers, often called "Nanny Jane," celebrates her 100th birthday Thursday and a party for family and friends is planned for Saturday. She says her life, though never easy, has been and continues to be a happy one.

Rogers was born on Jan. 7, 1916 at Wills Point in Van Zandt County, the third of five children. Her mother named her Odoska Jane.

"My mother named me after a little girl she knew when she was little — the doctor’s daughter," Rogers said. "She was always the best dressed little girl in town and had everything."

Rogers went to school in Wills Point. Getting an education was important, so even though the family lived quite a distance from the school, Rogers and her siblings went every day. At times, her father drove them in the wagon. At other times, her father took one of his saddle horses and Rogers sat behind him. Often, there were two other younger children on the horse, as well, one being the child of one of her father’s workers.

"We went through mud, rain, snow, whatever the weather," Rogers said.

Rogers, her mother and a brother also lived through a bout of malaria. Rogers was about 10 years old when it hit.

"Everybody had given up on my mother (surviving the malaria)," Rogers said. "She had a new baby at the time and gave it away to her sister who kept it. But we all made it. I don’t remember how long we were sick with it, though."

As a teenager in a small, rural community, entertainment was limited. Get-togethers called "play parties" were often held at various homes. It was at one of these, she met her future husband, Elmer "Buster" Rogers. His uncle had married one of Rogers’ aunts and the boy was working for his uncle. The two teenagers, almost the same exact age, hit it off and, at 19, after Rogers graduated from high school, they were married. By that time, Buster Rogers was working on a banker’s ranch in Grandfield, Oklahoma, so Rogers immediately moved there with her new husband.

"I’d help milk the cows every morning and sell the cream, and did other work. It was hard, but we managed. We did that for our first seven years, then we rented," Rogers said. "We started out on borrowed money. My husband could borrow any amount of money he had the nerve to borrow and that old banker would stand behind him."

After a time, the Rogers moved a few miles down the road to Devol, Oklahoma, soon followed by a move to Bryan County, Oklahoma and onto the property where she still lives west of Calera.

"A good friend moved to Bryan County (from Devol). He and his wife had helped us a lot, so we followed them and ended up where I live now. We moved here in 1952," Rogers said.

Buster Rogers continued to farm and ranch and Jane Rogers continued handling all the needed chores to run the household and to raise their three sons. Making a living was extremely difficult. They had to move to Dallas to both get jobs, but still kept the ranch/farm in Calera. Buster Rogers went first and lived with one of his sisters until Jane Rogers and their sons could join him.

"He worked at Parkland Hospital a long time as just a flunky and then got on at American Produce. He worked there for years," Rogers said. "I got a job at Texas Instruments and worked there for 15 years. That was the best move I ever made in my life. It was a good job."

Rogers said she was a little nervous about starting a job outside the home. She wasn’t really worried about doing the job itself but about how to get back and forth from their residence to Texas Instruments.

"When I went down for the interview, they hired me, but when I didn’t show up that first day, the man who interviewed me called. I told him I hadn’t found a way (to work) yet. He said for me to get down there and they’d find me a ride. I did and when I walked into the place, there was one of my neighbor girls that had moved down there from Devol. It was just like an act of God. She lived way across the end east of Dallas from me, but she and a few of her riders said they would come by and get me. It was unbelievable," Rogers said.

The Rogers’ sons grew up and left home. The Rogers stayed in Dallas until one of the sons bought a store on Highway 70 outside of Durant, Oklahoma and asked his parents if they’d run the store. They agreed and returned to their ranch in Calera.

"We both had to change jobs if we took the store on the 70 highway, so we did," Rogers said. "That was a mistake because Buster didn’t like it. I had to run that store!

"One night we were closing, getting the money out of the cash register and getting ready to take it home when one of the highway patrolmen came in and told us to get out of the store right then, that there was a gang of motorcyclists right across the lake."

They ran the store for four or so years then gave it up.

"I wouldn’t recommend running a store," Rogers said.

The couple finally built a new home on their ranch and gave their old house away. It was moved onto property nearby.

"The house is sitting over there across the creek. I can see it. But nobody has lived in it. It sits there just like a ghost," Rogers said as she looks out her large, picture window.

Buster Rogers died in 1987, but Jane Rogers continues to live on the ranch. She has visitors and caregivers continuously and especially enjoys having company. Her family makes sure everything is taken care of so that Rogers can have the rest and relaxation she deserves.

Asked if she would have done things differently, Rogers said: "Life hasn’t been easy, but I don’t know how I would’ve changed anything. It would’ve been impossible. We just did the best that we could."