I feel like I did my part in helping some fishermen avoid what could have been a tragedy Wednesday.

I was at our ramp getting it re-rocked and ditches cleaned out after the summer from the heavy rains we had, plus the heavy use it got. Five young men from Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas had rented a vacation cabin in Preston Shores for the week.

They had a 15-foot bass boat as they were launching I went down to talk to them. Now anyone who spends a lot of time on Texoma knows they don’t call it the big windy for nothing. The lake doesn’t read or listen to the forecast and does what it wants, when it comes to wind speed and waves.

Three of the men got in the bass boat and headed out. About two hours later two of their friends came down to where I was watching our grader spread rock. For some reason they came to me and asked if I knew someone who had a boat.

They said their friends had called on their cell phone and were worried: their motor had quit, they had run down the trolling motor and only had a paddle and water from big waves was coming in the boat.

Webb to the rescue. When I asked where they were one told me they had told him they could see a big cement tower. I knew right off they were — in the open water down by the intake. I told him to call them back and tell them help was on the way. Running to the house I hooked up my boat and 20 minutes later I was on my way out of our cove.

The wind was out of the north and there were some big rollers and whitecaps coming down Little Mineral. I couldn’t run wide open but I was going at a good clip hitting about every other wave. As I got to the mouth of Little Mineral I had to turn almost parallel to the waves and they were bigger than what I had been busting.

Finally getting in the area where they were supposed to be, I got worried; no boat to be seen, no one bobbing in the water. I made several sweeps of the area and I had water coming over the side of my boat all the time I was searching. Finally I decided to check out Wisdom Cove as the wind was blowing into it.

I almost missed the small boat as it was on the bank and blended in with the rocks. I had found them. They were all okay. I got out my tow rope. They turned their boat around and hooked it to the rope while I hooked the other end to mine.

I put one of them in my boat and started pulling them to Grandpappy as it was the closest boat ramp I could get to. It was a wet ride coming to get them but when you put a boat behind mine in rough water it takes a heap of driving to go in a straight line. Their boat was jerking mine around like a hula dancer as they caught the big waves.

I had to go slow and that made me get a long shower from the waves. Finally I got us around Grandpappy Point and back to its public ramp. They were safe and could wait as I took the driver with me back to our ramp to get his truck.

After this adventure was over and done and turned out really good I think I felt elated. It’s a good thing I was around because there was not another boat anywhere to be seen except for a sail boat a long ways off.

A reminder to be careful on the water. Novice or pro, even the best of us get in trouble now and then. If you don’t everyone should carry a good tow rope in their boat as it might come in handy some day.

Black and smallmouth bass are starting to bite. I was talking to a friend who fished Monday and he said he caught around 15. He thinks if the water temp starts dropping bass fishing is going to get red hot. According to my son-in-law John Blasingame at Adventure Texoma Outdoors the silver fish are still going good.

I spent early Labor Day morning in the boathouse. Crappie were there and willing to bite my Blakemore Road Runner. The downside — I caught 16 crappie and didn’t have a keeper. I went back to the house. Crappie numbers are great, size is something else.

Want to help out a good cause and possibly win some money? The Cavett Kids Foundation is hosting their fourth Annual Bass Tournament on September 16. Entry fee is $200 per team or boat.

Half goes to the foundation for kids with special medical needs at Oklahoma City Children’s Hospital, the other half goes to pay outs to fishermen. Based on a 75 boat field — and there is generally a big turnout for this tournament — it will pay $750 for big bass, first place $3,000, second $1,500, third $1,000, fourth $600, fifth $500 and sixth-eithth $400, $300, $200.

For more info on this event, you can call Justin at 405-640-9091 or Kevin at 405-227-4496.

Hunting dove or fishing, these cool mornings and cool nights make it comfortable to be outside. Go for the gusto and have a great weekend. Susan and I are going to Gunter Friday night to see the Tigers dine on Red Birds (we hope). Go Gunter.