Herald Democrat

Herald Democrat

ALVA, Okla. – Despite a 186-yard rushing performance by Devlon Wortham, Southeastern came up short in a 25-21 loss at Northwestern Oklahoma State in Great American Conference play on Saturday afternoon.

Wortham and the Storm running game was the lone bright spot on the day with 284 total rushing yards on the strength of Wortham’s effort, which came on 21 carries and accompanied a pair of touchdowns.

Ladarius Abrams added 79 yards on 16 carries. Nick Sioson threw for 179 yards and one touchdown on 16-of-28 passing. He connected with Anthony Foster seven times for 77 yards while Kaymon Farmer snagged four catches for 69 yards and the touchdown.

The offense racked up 463 yards, but the Storm (2-6, 2-5) committed 22 penalties for a 205 yards.

Individually, the SE defense was paced by Ladarice Sanders who tallied 10 tackles, while Malique Earl added seven and a tackle for a loss. The defense also forced three turnovers thanks to interceptions by Chad Tucker, Jacobi Crowley and Donnie Hamilton.

The Rangers (1-7, 1-7) jumped in front on a Jarion Tudman one-yard TD run. With 5:26 to go in the first Southeastern responded with a Wortham 32-yard run that put the Storm in front 7-6.

NWOSU had the last word of the first half when Reid Miller hit Reginald Harris for a 20-yard touchdown pass with 10 seconds to play. A missed two-point conversion try had the Rangers in front 12-7.

Sioson found Farmer for a 22-yard TD strike midway through the third quarter to regain the lead at 14-12 but it would be short lived as Tudman capped the ensuing NWOSU drive with a 31-yard score on the ground and Southeastern trailed 19-14,

Wortham wasted little time capping the ensuing Storm drive by taking the fourth play 62 yards for a touchdown as the Storm took a 21-19 lead with 2:25 to play.

Miller answered on the second play of the next drive with a 65-yard run to make the score 25-21 with 1:19 to go in the third.

Southeastern’s next drive reached the Ranger seven-yard line but ended without points as a fourth-down pass was incomplete.

The Storm only had one other fourth-quarter possession and was held to a three-and-out.