There were no injuries reported in fires quickly extinguished in Van Alstyne and Denison Wednesday, although both homes were damaged.

There were no injuries reported in fires quickly extinguished in Van Alstyne and Denison Wednesday, although both homes were damaged.

About 1 p.m. Wednesday,Van Alstyne firefighters were called to a residential home on fire on Edwards Road, east of the city. It was started from a blaze in the home’s fireplace and climbed into the attic.

Van Alstyne Fire Department Lt. Caleb Thompson said that firefighters were able to get to it and extinguish it without the damage spreading throughout the attic or dropping into the house. They worked with two engines, and more firefighters in one of the department’s ambulance. They also had mutual aid from Anna F.D., who sent one engine and three people to help.

“It was a pretty clean stop,” Thompson said. He said the couple who lived there were not injured.

Denison firefighters were called about 9 a.m. to a home in the 400 block of Coushatta Drive, where they battled a fire that started with a electrical problem at the hot water heater.

Denison Assistant Fire Chief Bill Ray said the resident first saw water coming from the water heater, then either felt the heat or smelled the smoke from nearby flames. The female resident got out of the house quickly, Ray said.

Denison Fire Department was able to extinguish the fire quickly, Ray reported, and then ventilated the house for the resident. Because she has underlying respiratory issues and had breathed in smoke, paramedics treated her for breathing. Ray said she did not require being taken to a hospital for further medical help.

The house suffered not only burn damage, but also considerable flooding from the faulty water heater. Also, it is without electricity, at least until an electrician can verify that it will be safe to have the power turned back on.

The resident will be staying with a neighbor, Ray said.