KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The father of a Kansas City, Kan., boy who was abused, tortured, starved and ultimately fed to pigs was sentenced Monday to life in prison.


Michael A. Jones, 46, was sentenced in Wyandotte County Circuit Court where he pleaded guilty in March to first-degree felony murder in the death of his 7-year-old son, Adrian Jones.


Under Kansas law, he will have to serve 25 years before he can seek parole.


“He got off light,” said Jennifer Hoevers, the woman who rented the home to Jones and his family and who found video clips and photos showing the abuse Adrian suffered. “And it makes me angry.”


Jones did not speak before he was sentenced.


Jones’ wife, and Adrian’s stepmother, Heather Jones, 31, previously pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and child abuse.


She was sentenced to the same term of life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years for the murder conviction. She was sentenced to an additional five years and eight months in prison for the child abuse.


The little boy’s remains were found in November 2015 in a barn on property rented by Michael and Heather Jones.


—The Kansas City Star


———


Accused Chelsea bomber’s trial won’t be moved out of NYC, judge rules


NEW YORK — Accused Chelsea bomber Ahmad Rahimi is not entitled to have his trial moved out of New York on the basis of prejudicial pretrial publicity, a Manhattan federal judge ruled on Monday.


Lawyers for Rahimi, 29, of Elizabeth, N.J., had moved to shift his trial to either Washington, D.C., or Vermont based on a survey showing that massive early publicity demonized Rahimi and nearly 50 percent of potential jurors thought he was guilty.


But Manhattan U.S. District Judge Richard Berman said much of the publicity had died down since last year and he believed questioning of prospective jurors could weed out bias.


“The court doesn’t believe that the media accounts require … that a fair jury can’t be empaneled,” Berman said in a decision he read from the bench after hearing arguments. “Indeed, the court believes the opposite is true.”


The judge said 72 percent of prospective jurors in the defense survey reported they could set aside negative views of Rahimi, and note that a long list of high-profile cases from terrorists to mob boss John Gotti were successfully tried in federal court in Manhattan.


Rahimi is charged with planting two bombs in Chelsea last September, one of which exploded and injured 30 people. He also faces charges in New Jersey for planting bombs there, and for a shootout with police when he was captured.


Rahimi is scheduled to go on trial in October for using a weapon of mass destruction and explosives and destruction of property crimes, but is not charged with terrorism or aiding a terrorist group.


—Newsday


———


Actor Antonio Sabato Jr. to run for Congress in California


LOS ANGELES — Actor Antonio Sabato Jr. is running for Congress, challenging Rep. Julia Brownley, a Democrat who represents the southern central coast of California and most of Ventura County, according to documents filed Monday with the Federal Election Commission.


Attempts to reach the Republican candidate were unsuccessful Monday, but GOP strategist Charles Moran, who will serve as Sabato’s fundraiser, confirmed the run. Strategist Jeff Corless will serve as a top adviser.


Sabato is a longtime actor best known for roles in “General Hospital” and “Melrose Place” and as a model for Calvin Klein underwear. In recent years he has appeared in several reality television shows, including starring in “My Antonio,” a VH1 contest for which women competed for his affection, and “Dancing With the Stars.”


The 45-year-old was a vocal supporter of President Donald Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign and spoke on his behalf at that year’s Republican National Convention. In an interview at the time, he said that that then-President Barack Obama was a Muslim, which is not true. Sabato said afterward that he was blacklisted by Hollywood producers because of his visible support for Trump.


—Los Angeles Times


———


Survey: Cartel battle pushes Mexico to second in global conflict list


LONDON — The battle between criminal gangs and Mexican government forces made the country second only to Syria for deaths in armed conflict last year, a London-based think tank reported on Tuesday.


Some 23,000 people died in 2016 in Mexico’s fight with criminal cartels, while some 50,000 people died in the conflict in Syria, the International Institute for Strategic Studies said in an annual “armed conflict survey.”


But unlike the conflict in Syria, Mexico’s fight against organized crime received “scant attention” from international media, said the report, which recorded 157,000 deaths in conflict last year, down from 167,000 in 2015.


“The death toll in Mexico’s conflict surpasses those for Afghanistan and Somalia,” said John Chipman, the institute’s director general.


“This is all the more surprising, considering that the conflict deaths are nearly all attributable to small arms,” Chipman said. “Mexico is a conflict marked by the absence of artillery, tanks or combat aviation.”


Syria and Mexico are followed in the list of most deaths in conflict by Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan, Turkey, South Sudan and Nigeria.


Despite a drop in the death toll, 2016 saw a rise in the number of “intractable conflicts that have the potential to flare at short notice,” the institute said.


Civilians caught in conflict also “continued to suffer on a huge scale,” with 192,000 people fleeing violence last year in Sudan alone.


—dpa


Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.