BONHAM — Bonham’s elementary school was evacuated Monday afternoon after those inside the school believed they smelled a gas leak. The Bonham Fire Department investigated and found no gas leak.

BONHAM — Bonham’s elementary school was evacuated Monday afternoon after those inside the school believed they smelled a gas leak. The Bonham Fire Department investigated and found no gas leak.


"An odor from the kitchen of Finley-Oates Elementary was discovered this afternoon," Bonham ISD said in a written statement Monday. "The fire department was called and classes were evacuated."


The Bonham Fire Department received a call about the potential gas leak at 1:30 p.m., said Bonham Fire Chief Brad Nichols. They found the cause of the odor was a commercial skillet in the school’s kitchen that was malfunctioning. The skillet was turned off and students were allowed back inside, Nichols said.


Classes resumed as normal for the rest of the day, Bonham ISD said.