DURANT — A structure fire in Durant Wednesday night that caused the death of six dogs is believed to have been started by a space heater.

DURANT — A structure fire in Durant Wednesday night that caused the death of six dogs is believed to have been started by a space heater.


The Durant Fire Department received a call reporting the fire around 9:15 p.m., and arrived shortly thereafter at the house in the 400 block of East Jones Street. When firefighters arrived, the two front rooms of the house were on fire, said Capt. Steve Kelso.


It took firefighters 13 minutes to control the fire and 27 minutes to put it out, Kelso said.


Two people were in the house at the time and neither were hurt. However, the residents’ six pet dogs did not survive.


Firefighters believe a space heater in one of the front bedrooms caused the fire. One of the residents said she was sitting a few feet from the space heater when she heard it pop, Kelso said.


Space heaters are a common cause of structure fires this time of year, Kelso said. He recommends people review and practice safety measures for using space heaters, such as keeping space heaters away from flammable objects and keeping them on firm, flat surfaces.