First lady Melania Trump follows 5 accounts on Twitter, including Barack Obama’s


First lady Melania Trump follows only five Twitter accounts — and one of them belongs to her husband’s predecessor, President Barack Obama.


British writer Matt Haig brought up the issue of the first lady’s Twitter account Friday, writing: “It’s a lovely bit of husband-trolling that Melania Trump only follows five people and one of them is Barack Obama.”


She also follows President Donald Trump’s two Twitter accounts — his personal @realDonaldTrump and official @POTUS handles — Vice President Pence and his wife, Karen Pence.


It’s unclear why and when the first lady started following Obama. Her spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.


She hadn’t had much interaction with Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama, but she met with them after Trump’s 2016 election win. She was also photographed with Trump and the Obamas during her husband’s inauguration last year.


Trump previously criticized Obama about his golf outings, health care policy and other issues. He was even behind the “birther” conspiracy theory in which he called for Obama to release his birth certificate, claiming he was born in Kenya.


—New York Daily News

Senators call for special committee to investigate Olympic abuse


WASHINGTON — Two days ahead of the opening ceremonies for the Winter Olympics, a bipartisan group of senators is trying to set up a special committee to investigate the U.S. Olympic Committee.


The 18 senators, led by Republican Joni Ernst of Iowa and Democrat Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, unveiled their resolution on Wednesday.


“We are introducing this bipartisan resolution to establish a special committee entirely focused on investigating how this abuse was allowed to go on for decades, why leaders of the USOC and USA Gymnastics failed to protect these women, and the path forward to put an end to this type of outrageous abuse,” Ernst said. “Now Congress has an opportunity to stand up for the brave survivors who came forward, for our athletes, for our children. I am proud to stand with Senator Shaheen and our colleagues to fight to stop this abuse once and for all.”


Congress has already acted to clear legislation designed to impose new reporting requirements on organizations under the U.S. Olympic Committee umbrella, but the resolution would promote a broader Senate investigation.


The resolution would set up a panel of four members from each party appointed by leadership, with subpoena power but not legislative authority. The resolution would require at least half the membership be female.


—CQ-Roll Call

Pentagon won’t say why war court overseer was fired, but he’s not under investigation


GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba — The Pentagon for a second straight day declined to explain why Defense Secretary Jim Mattis fired his Guantanamo war court overseer of 10 months but said there was no investigation related to the abrupt departures.


Military Commissions Convening Authority Harvey Rishikof and his legal adviser Gary Brown were removed on Monday from their Virginia-based jobs, which have oversight of the war crimes trials of the alleged plotters of the Sept. 11 terror attacks and others. The two men were replaced, in acting capacities, by three veteran Department of Defense lawyers.


The Pentagon “does not discuss personnel actions,” Department of Defense spokesman Tom Crosson said Tuesday. “However, I can confirm that the Department has not initiated nor is it aware of any investigation involving Mr. Rishikof or Mr. Brown.”


Rishikof has so far declined to comment on the firings. The Herald has been unable to reach Brown.


Crosson also said there was no immediate word on whether there were candidates to fill the positions.


Meantime, a 37-year career Department of Defense lawyer, retired Army Col. Jim Coyne, is acting convening authority while handling his full-time job as general counsel of the Defense Logistics Agency.


—Miami Herald

Jared Fogle claims judge on his child porn case should be removed because she has teenage daughters


Convicted Subway sandwich pitchman Jared Fogle thinks a judge should recuse herself from his child pornography case because she’s a mother of two teenagers, according to a court filing.


Fogle, who was sentenced to 15 years in prison after investigators found more than 47,000 child pornography images on his computer, has been seeking an early release because he claims prosecutors incorrectly slammed him with conspiracy charges.


But Judge Tanya Walton Pratt shut down Fogle’s dreams of an early release last month — and now he argues that’s because she’s biased against him.


“This court clearly has demonstrated Objective bias, and subjective bias is evident as well,” Fogle, 40, wrote in a filing last Thursday, claiming that Pratt’s prejudice supposedly stems from the fact that his case involves “teenage girls.”


Pratt is the mother of two teenage girls.


The court did not immediately issue a response to Fogle’s filing.


Fogle used to be known as “the Subway Guy” and was featured in hundreds of Subway ads after he lost more than 200 pounds while on a diet dominated by the sandwich chain’s subs.


But Fogle fell from grace after it was revealed that he paid to have sex with two underage girls and stored troves of child porn on his computer. Fogle was sentenced to 15 years of hard time on Aug. 19, 2015.


—New York Daily News