Three people were displaced Tuesday after a kitchen fire destroyed their Sherman home.


Sherman Fire-Rescue Division Chief Danny Fuller said crews were dispatched to the single-story home near the intersection of North Highland Avenue and West Texas Street shortly after 5 p.m. Fuller said he believes two of the occupants were home at the time and reportedly forgot turn the stove top off after using it to cook a meal.


“They were frying food and left the burner on,” Fuller said. “They were eating and evidently forgot about it. After they finished up, they might have gone to another part of the house, but by they time they got back to it, it had already gotten out hand.”


The two residents were able to safely exit the home, but Fuller said the structure sustained heavy smoke and water damage and was ultimately deemed a total loss. At least two of their pets were killed in the fire.


“I think it was two dogs that perished, but they were able to save three cats, I believe,” Fuller said.


The division chief added that the responding crews faced a number of challenges in fighting the fire. Fuller explained that crews were forced to delay their use of water on the flames as they waited for an active power line connected to the home to be to be cut and were down one engine, which was deployed to assist on a call Pottsboro at the same time. One firefighter was also injured after he slipped on ice that accumulated on concrete surfaces around the home during the operation.


“They made do, adapted and got the fire taken care of,” Fuller said of the crews.


The American Red Cross was on hand to assist the three residents. Fuller said the fire appeared to be accidental in origin and encouraged the public to be mindful of their use of heating appliances, especially during weather, when such items are heavily used.


Just be aware of your heating sources and remember to keep combustibles away form them,” Fuller said. “You’ve got to cognizant of what’s going on around you and be alert.”