AYER, Mass. — Anthony Weiner has ditched Carlos Danger and T-Dog for yet another alias: federal inmate 79112-054.


Weiner, 53, reported Monday to Federal Medical Center Devens to begin serving a 21-month term for sexting with a teen girl, the Bureau of Prisons confirmed.


Devens is one of only nine federal prisons that offers sex offender treatment and is the facility closest to New York.


Weiner’s wife, Huma Abedin, 41, has filed for divorce. The two have a 5-year-old son. She didn’t accompany Weiner on his road trip to Devens. Abedin was spotted in New York with their young son. In 2015, Weiner notoriously sexted a picture of his bulging underwear — while his son slept next to him.


His sexting habit derailed his career as a congressman, as well as his bid for mayor of New York — before it landed him in prison for swapping messages with a 15-year-old girl.


Weiner repeatedly encouraged the girl, who made plain she was underage, to get naked and fondle herself while he watched via Skype, court papers show.


Weiner, once a rising star in the Democratic Party and a City Hall hopeful, sobbed at his sentencing, telling Judge Denise Cote: “I was a very sick man for a very long time.”


—New York Daily News


———


Chicago close to recording 600th homicide for only second time since 2003


CHICAGO — Chicago is close to recording its 600th homicide for the year, only the second time the city will have reached the grim milestone since 2003, according to data kept by the Chicago Tribune.


After a weekend when 30 were people shot, five of them fatally, the number of homicides stands at 593 this year, according to the Tribune’s database.


That’s below the 681 homicides this time last year but substantially above other recent years.


Last year saw gun violence at levels not recorded since the late 1990s. This year has not been as bad, but the last time the city hit 600 homicides was 2003, and that was for the entire year, according to statistics kept by the Chicago Police Department.


The Chicago Police Department’s count of homicides this year is 581 because, unlike the Tribune, it does not count homicides on expressways as well as fatal shootings by police officers and homicides considered justified.


Shootings have shown the same trend: This year trails last year but not other recent years. Nearly 3,200 people have been shot so far in 2017, down from the roughly 3,800 shot this time last year. That’s compared with 2,609 at this time in 2015, 2,208 in 2014, 1,923 in 2013 and 2,162 in 2012, according to Tribune data.


—Chicago Tribune


———


Before dumping corpse in trash, mom smothered young daughter with pillow, cops say


MIAMI — Before dumping the body in a trash bin, a South Miami-Dade woman used a pillow to fatally smother her 4-year-old daughter on Halloween night because of “hearing the girl talk back to her,” police said Monday.


Tina Farrington, 31, was booked into a Miami-Dade jail on a first-degree murder charge early Monday for the death of daughter Tania Paige.


After killing Tania, the mother hid the corpse in the trunk of her Nissan Altima for several days, according to a police arrest report Monday. She later moved the body to a commercial trash bin at her apartment complex, where it remained for about 14 hours, police said.


A man throwing out garbage on Sunday afternoon discovered Tania’s decomposing body inside the trash bin at the Tuscany Place complex. The bin, which was in the same complex where Tania and her mother lived, was towed away by police to the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s Office.


“The defendant provided a detailed confession,” Miami-Dade Detective Rich Raphael wrote in his arrest report.


An autopsy is being conducted to determine Tania’s cause of death.


The police report suggests that Tania had long been the victim of abuse — bruises were discovered on the girl’s arms, legs and torso. “Anything involving a child is always going to be difficult,” said Miami-Dade police spokesman Argemis Colome. “This hits everybody.”


Farrington, who is unemployed, according to the police report, also had a son who was in the apartment at the time who was apparently unharmed. She did not have an extensive criminal history, save a 2008 arrest for disorderly conduct for getting into a wild brawl at Mango’s Tropical Cafe in South Beach. The charge was dropped.


—Miami Herald


———


Detained Saudis face investigations over corruption, prosecutor says


CAIRO — Saudi individuals detained over the weekend were questioned as part of anti-corruption investigations in the oil-rich kingdom, Attorney General Saud al-Mojeb said on Monday.


Saudi authorities reportedly arrested dozens of royals and former state officials on Saturday in a major crackdown.


“A great deal of evidence has already been gathered, and detailed questioning has taken place,” al-Mojeb said.


“Yesterday does not represent the start, but the completion of Phase One of our anti-corruption push,” he said, adding that “it was necessary to complete the first phase discreetly” to prevent anyone from escaping investigations.


President Donald Trump, who is on a tour of Asia, expressed his support for the country’s leadership.


“They know exactly what they are doing,” Trump said on Twitter. “Some of those they are harshly treating have been ‘milking’ their country for years!” he added.


The arrests took place after Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud ordered the creation of an anti-corruption committee headed by his son, Crown Prince Mohammed. The monarch has given the agency wide powers, including the issuance of arrest warrants, asset freezes and travel bans.


Al-Mojeb, also a member of the anti-corruption committee, said this is the beginning “of a vital process to root out corruption wherever it exists.”


Another member of the committee, Khalid bin Abdulmohsen al-Mehaisen, said the detentions came after “three years of work” by Saudi anti-corruption authorities.


Neither officials confirmed the number or identities of those detained, yet, al-Mehaisen said “it involves influential officials and senior executives.”


According to local Saudi media, 11 royals and 38 ex-officials and businessmen were detained in the sweep.


The officials reportedly face charges ranging from involvement in dubious business deals, money laundering, embezzlement of public money and mishandling state-owned enterprises for personal financial gain.


Earlier on Monday, two new ministers were sworn in, replacing two officials sacked ahead of the crackdown.


Prince Khaled bin Ayaf became the new head of the Saudi National Guard, replacing Prince Meteib bin Abdullah, a son of late Saudi king Abdullah.


The newly appointed economy and planning minister, Mohammed al-Tuwaijri, was also sworn in during the ceremony attended by King Salman, the official Saudi Press Agency reported.


Al-Tuwaijri replaces Adel al-Faqieh, who was also dismissed on Saturday.


—dpa


———


Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.