WHITESBORO — A malfunctioning dishwasher machine caused the evacuation of Whitesboro Intermediate School Wednesday afternoon.

District Maintenance and Facilities Director Ken Carden said the incident occurred shortly after 1 p.m. Cafeteria workers pulled the fire alarm after seeing smoke coming from the wash room.

Fire officials determined that the smoke was caused by an overheated heating element in a washing machine. There was never a fire, Carden said.

There was no damage to the facility beyond the washing machine, which will be replaced.

The 375 students at the school returned to class about 20 minutes later.

District Maintenance and Facilities Director Ken Carden said the incident occurred shortly after 1 p.m.