Sherman Police opened an investigation Tuesday into a report of shots fired in a neighborhood near Hawn Park.

The incident occurred outside a single-family home in the 900 block of South Hub Street at approximately 3:40 p.m. Sherman Police Sgt. D.M. Hampton said he would not be able to provide detailed information until investigators had more time to conduct an examination of the scene.

“It’s an active crime scene,” Hampton said. “It’s too early to speculate. They’re in the process of looking for evidence.”

Hampton did say investigators found at least four bullet casings on and around the property and that the department was looking into the possibility that the suspect or suspects fled the scene in a vehicle. He said he didn’t wish to release information on the vehicle as the responding officer received conflicting reports on the make and model of the vehicle.

The Sherman Police sergeant also noted that the first call dispatchers received was not placed by those who were at the home at the time.

“The call for help did not originate from this address,” Hampton said.

Multiple officers responded to the scene and could be seen entering the home, placing evidence markers in the front yard, taking photographs and speaking to witnesses and neighbors.

Jacqueliene Trevathan identified herself as the homeowner and said her 20-year-old son and two other acquaintances were in the home when a man drove up in front of the house and exited the vehicle. She said her son went outside to confront the man, whom he knew, and the two exchanged words, before the man pulled out a gun and fired at him. Trevathan said her son dropped to his stomach and crawled along the side of the home as he sought safety.

Trevathan said her son called her after the incident and she immediately returned to the home. Trevathan explained that her son “knew of” the man who fired the shots, but they had no idea why he wanted to harm her son. She said the same man had also assaulted her 17-year-old son a week before at a nearby skate park.

Hampton said the investigation is ongoing.