A woman was sent to the hospital following a fire at a Sherman house that was started by smoking in bed.

At about 6:28 p.m., Sherman firefighters were called to the 400 block of North Holly Avenue. The firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 20 minutes after arriving on the scene.

Sherman Fire Marshal Danny Fuller said the occupant of the home went to the hospital by private vehicle because of possible smoke inhalation. He said the fire began in the bedroom when a woman was smoking in bed and fell asleep.

The woman was awoken by the smoke alarm, and she attempted to put the fire out, Fuller said. The fire grew too large, and she eventually exited the structure and called for help.

Fuller said the fire caused substantial damage, and the house will not be livable for at least several days. He said the fire department prefers residents to immediately leave a flaming structure instead of trying to extinguish the fire.