Texoma got off to a wet start to one of its drier months of the year when portions of the region received between two and nine inches of rainfall over the past five days. This brings some areas above or near the average rain they should expect for the month. This comes after an early-morning storm dropped between 0.5 inches and 1.87 inches of rainfall early Wednesday, the National Weather Service Fort Worth office reported.

“It shows a pretty wet start to July, and we are just in the first five days,” meteorologist Jason Godwin said Wednesday.

Despite the heavy rain Wednesday morning, area emergency officials said the damage was light, especially compared to previous nights’ storms. Grayson County Office of Emergency Management Coordinator Sarah Somers said there was no damage reported following Wednesday morning’s storms. Somers said some isolated flooding was possible, but it likely occurred in areas that regularly flood and as such was not reported.

Denison Fire Rescue received reports of lightning striking a home near Lillis Park Circle shortly after 6 a.m. Fire Chief Gregg Loyd said the strike did not cause a fire, but there was a heavy haze of smoke following the lightning strike. Assistant Fire Chief Mark Escamilla said he was uncertain if the structure was occupied, noting that crews remained on scene only for a short time.

Sherman Police Sgt. Brandon Tony said the department received calls of seven wrecks between 5:30 a.m. and 7 a.m. Wednesday. Tony said the majority of these incidents were related to the weather and hydroplaning but were relatively minor.

Officials with the Sherman Independent School District reported that crews were still working to restore phone and internet services to district facilities following Sunday night’s storms. Assistant Superintendent of Finance and Operations Tyson Bennett said the outage occurred after the technology department lost power Sunday evening.

Under normal situations, a backup generator would take over in the event of an outage and turn off once main power is restored. However, following Sunday’s storms, the backup generator failed to return priority to the main grid once power was restored, Bennett said.

Bennett said Wednesday was the earliest that Oncor crews could make it out to do repairs due to the Fourth of July holiday. By early afternoon Bennett said crews were working to repair the generator switch ahead of Oncor crews coming out to restore power later that afternoon.

When asked if he expects there to be any damage to technology, Bennett said that only the administration building was affected as classes are out for the summer and summer classes were not in session.

“Honestly, if we had classes going on it would be more of an issue,” he said.

Wednesday’s storms represented the third night of heavy rains and thunderstorms within the past five days. The most damage appears to have occurred during storms late Friday night. Heavy rain and strong wind gusts resulted in downed trees, structural damage and nearly 2,200 residents losing power.

Sherman resident Yonika Emmons Wilson returned to her home in Sherman early Saturday morning to find that the roof had been removed by the wind during the overnight storm. Wilson estimated the damages at least $3,000.

She said she has spoken to her landlord, who gave her permission to stay in the home for the time being. She said the landlord told her fiance that he would be out of town for the week.

“He told my fiance he was going on vacation and we haven’t spoken to him since,” she said via Facebook Wednesday.

Wilson said she is afraid to take her children back into the home as the ceiling has started to collapse due to water damage. Since the storm Wilson has lived with family, she said.

During Wednesday’s storms, Godwin said rainfall varied across Grayson County. The NWS recorded 0.44 inches of rain at a Sherman co-op weather station and 0.89 inches of precipitation at North Texas Regional Airport — Perrin Field. However, the largest rainfall was recorded in Denison; an independent weather station reported 1.87 inches of rain early Wednesday, Godwin said.

Godwin said the weather station at NTRA normally receives about 2.62 inches of rain for the month; in the past five days it has received nearly 2.09 inches.

Godwin said he expected the weather to slow down through the start of next week. Over the next several days, there will be between a 20 percent and 30 percent chance for rain across the region, but these will be more isolated storms, he said.

“Most people won’t see rain, but if you are directly under a thunderstorm, you could easily pick up half an inch,” he said.