Investigators say a light fixture inside a closet may be to blame for a fire that damaged a Denison home Sunday night.


Denison Fire Rescue Marshal John Weda said crews were dispatched to a home in the 700 block of North 8th Street at approximately 11:15 p.m. Sunday, after occupants of the rental home reported smoke and flames coming from one the home’s bedrooms. Four of five residents were home at the time of the fire, including a two-year-old child, but all were able to exit the structure and none were injured.


“The fire is still under investigation at this point,” Weda said. “It looks like it was probably a light fixture in the closet that maybe got too close to some combustible items around the top shelf. That’s kind of what it looks like at this point, but there’s nothing suspicious about it.”


Weda said the fire started in the bedroom of the fifth occupant, a 28-year-old woman who as not home at the time, and the damage was fairly minimal. He said he believed the Red Cross responded to the home and assisted the residents by helping them find a place to stay for the evening, but said he expects their return to the home and the clean up would happen relatively quickly.


The fire marshal said homeowners should mindful of lighting fixtures as they can rapidly reach high temperatures and ignite flammable materials if nearby.


“Incandescent bulbs get very hot,” Weda said. “So, you want to keep your distance between anything combustible around an exposed light bulb.”