Denison Fire Rescue officials said a burning candle was to blame for an early morning fire that destroyed a home in the 2600 block of Johnson Street on Thursday.


Fire Marshal John Weda said crews were dispatched to the 900-square-foot, single-story home at approximately 12:29 a.m. and were told by the lone female occupant, who escaped from the residence without injury, that she had fallen asleep with a candle burning.


“Right where she said the candle was is where the fire started,” Weda said.


The Denison Fire Rescue marshal said crews extinguished the flames, but were again called to the home at approximately 4:49 a.m., when a second fire broke out. Weda said the cause of the second fire remains under investigation and though it may take several days for officials to determine what caused the structure to reignite, he said he didn’t believe the residence was intentionally set ablaze.


“I don’t think there’s anything suspicious about it,” Weda said. “There’s no insurance on the house, there’s no financial motive.”


Weda encouraged homeowners to be careful each and every time they set a candle.


“If you do burn candles in your house, we certainly recommend you don’t go to sleep with them still on or even leave the room with the candle unattended,” Weda said. “It’s not a good idea, but I know people do it.”