Sherman Police arrested two men Monday night in connection with a recent string of robberies.

Andrew Stroud, 21, of Sherman was charged with two counts of aggravated robbery and possession of marijuana and Tyler Mack, 20, of Whitewright was charged with two counts of aggravated robbery and with escape while arrested/confined, after he attempted to run from police following his arrest.

In a statement released Tuesday, the department said the chain of events that led to the arrests began at approximately 8:50 p.m. on Monday, when Sherman Police were notified of a robbery in progress at the One Stop gas station in the 1300 block of North Grand Avenue. Officers responded to the scene and, after speaking to witnesses, learned the male suspect matched the description of the man who robbed the Gateway Shell in Sherman on Sunday night. Witnesses said the man brandished a knife and stole money from the business’ cash register before fleeing from the scene by car. Sherman Police also found the getaway vehicle used in the One Stop robbery, a silver Ford Focus, matched the description of the vehicle used in the Gateway Shell robbery.

The statement went on to say that two officers then went to the Sherman Inn on Texoma Parkway to investigate a silver Ford Focus located in the hotel’s parking lot. As the officers were inspecting the vehicle, they heard whistling and shouting coming from a nearby shopping center and observed a man running from Texas Tobacco on North Grand Avenue and another silver Ford Focus speeding away from the scene. At the same time, emergency dispatchers received a 9-1-1 call saying Texas Tobacco had been robbed.

An officer located the vehicle as it was traveling on Frisco Road near Broughton Street, initiated a traffic stop and then detained Stroud and Mack without incident. Mack was identified by officers as the suspected robber of the two gas stations and was found to be in possession of a knife. Both men were arrested and a subsequent search yielded that both men were in possession of an undisclosed amount of money.

Following the arrests, Mack and Stroud were transported to the Sherman Police station. But as the pair was being led inside the building through a rear entrance, Mack allegedly managed to slip one hand out of his handcuffs and ran toward a gated exit. An officer gave chase and was able to secure Mack once again before he reached the fence.

Both Stroud and Mack were then transported to the Grayson County Jail, where records indicate they are both still being held.