(Editor's note: This article has been updated throughout.)

After a small fire in a bathroom trash can prompted an evacuation of all students and staff at Sherman High School Monday morning, a juvenile suspect was later arrested on an arson charge.

Sherman ISD Director of Communications Emily Parks said Monday morning an initial investigation by Sherman Fire-Rescue officials indicated that the fire began in a trash can in the school’s “D” hall, but an exact cause was not known at that time.

“We’re going to be reviewing video, talking to kids and doing what we need to do in order to find out how the fire started,” Park said.

Sherman Fire Marshal Danny Fuller said the fire occurred in a school bathroom, and in the early afternoon, a juvenile male suspect was arrested on an arson charge in connection with the fire. Fuller declined to provide the age of the suspect, and he did not say how the fire was started as an investigation is ongoing.

“With the help of video and tips, we were able to arrest him,” Fuller said.

Fire crews were called to the high school shortly after alarms were triggered at about 9 a.m., prompting an evacuation of all students and staff. Parks said students and staff were allowed back inside after roughly half an hour. No injuries were reported.

Fuller said he was notified of the fire at about 9:19 a.m., and the fire caused some smoke damage and damaged the trash can itself.

“It was put out prior to our arrival,” Fuller said of the fire. “We ventilated for them so they could get back to class.”

Parks said the district quickly notified parents and families of the incident through social media posts, but that information regarding the fire and response would also be released later in the day.

“We will also send a letter home with students at the end of the day and post it to the website,” Parks said during the day Monday.

The district’s communications director said all classes continued on their normal schedules, and all areas of the building were reopened for use.