CHICAGO — Cleveland pastor Darrell Scott’s much ballyhooed summit of what he publicly told President Donald Trump were Chicago’s “top gang thugs” is back on.
It’s not happening in Englewood, Austin or any of the other Chicago neighborhoods struggling with gun violence — but in a hotel in Washington D.C., on Tuesday.
During a televised Feb. 1 meeting with Trump, Scott said he had secured a commitment from gang leaders to “lower the body count” in exchange for federal funds for social programs. That claim was greeted with widespread skepticism by Chicagoans, an impression that wasn’t improved when Scott last month canceled a proposed summit in suburban Rosemont on short notice, saying some attendees could not make it.
But Scott said Monday that “the location of the meeting isn’t important — what matters is the content of the meeting.” Torrence Cooks, a 44-year-old reputed former member of the Gangster Disciples who reached out to Scott to request his help, is bringing a delegation of 15 people from Chicago to the D.C. meeting, Scott said. Representatives of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, business leaders and charities will attend, he said.
Scott, who has been criticized as being out of touch by Chicagoans who are attempting to tackle street violence, acknowledged Monday that he has not been to Chicago for two years. He said that it would have been harder for him to get federal officials to attend a meeting in Chicago.
Coachella festivalgoers use ‘Find my iPhone’ app to locate man with 100 stolen cellphones, police say
Leave it to a group of tech-savvy concert-goers to solve a case of stolen cellphones at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival over the weekend.
At a scene like Coachella, where any music act, art installation and fashion or food trend is Instagrammable or Snapchatted, it’s no wonder several festival-goers noticed their cellphones had vanished during the event Friday.
According to the Indio, Calif., Police Department, the music fans activated their “Find My iPhone” app and followed Reinaldo De Jesus Henao around the venue until he was detained by security workers.
Officers later arrived and found more than 100 cellphones in Henao’s backpack, police said.
Henao, 36, of New York was arrested on suspicion of grand theft and possession of stolen property, police said.
Several cellphones were returned to victims, and others were left at lost and found, according to police.
—Los Angeles Times
NC legislator says he ‘will not listen to foul mouthed individuals,’ blocks Facebook comments
North Carolina state Rep. Carl Ford became the latest legislator to attract criticism on Facebook this weekend after he posted an image criticizing liberals and then began deleting comments.
Ford, a Republican from Rowan County, on Friday posted a photo of an angry woman pointing, with the text “I’m a tolerant liberal! Agree with me or else you’re a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, redneck, gun toting, America loving bigot!”
Ford then explained the post – and why he’s taken to deleting critical comments posted to his official Facebook page.
“I have been called every one of these names and many more in the past week,” he wrote. “I can take it, but I don’t have to leave the vile language and threats on my Facebook page. More than 3/4ths of the comments had to be deleted and yes many blocked. I will not listen to foul mouthed individuals or be threatened.”
After some commenters suggested that Ford’s “tolerant liberal” post only added to the name-calling, the lawmaker’s wife joined the Facebook discussion to point out that her husband didn’t start it.
“These people were the first to start posting foul, filthy comments & threats to find him personally & wipe him off the planet on FB,” Angela Ford wrote. “Even posting comments on a picture of Carl & myself saying ‘Look at this gay couple.’”
Ford has been taking heat online for co-sponsoring a bill that would defy a U.S. Supreme Court ruling and restore the state constitution’s ban on same-sex marriage. House Speaker Tim Moore has said the bill won’t get a hearing, but it made headlines across the country last week, and was the target of late-night comedians like Trevor Noah of “The Daily Show.”
—The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)
Prince Harry reveals struggle to come to terms with Diana’s death
LONDON — Britain’s Prince Harry has revealed that he struggled to come to terms with the death of his mother Princess Diana, finally seeking counselling after a long period of turmoil.
The 32-year-old brother of Prince William told the Daily Telegraph newspaper that he spent almost two decades “not thinking” about his mother’s death.
Diana, Princess of Wales died in a car accident with Dodi al Fayed in Paris in 1997 as they were being chased by paparazzi on motorcycles. Harry was 12 years old at the time.
Harry told the Telegraph that he did not process his grief until he was in his late 20s: “My way of dealing with it was sticking my head in the sand, refusing to ever think about my mum, because why would that help?”
He said he shut down his emotions after Diana’s death, which had “a quite serious effect on not only my personal life but my work as well.”
The prince said he sought help after his brother William told him: “Look, you really need to deal with this. It is not normal to think that nothing has affected you.”
Harry revealed that he finally sought counselling after what he called two years of “total chaos.”
Harry, his brother William and sister-in-law Kate are spearheading a mental health campaign, Heads Together.
The umbrella organization is the London Marathon’s charity of the year, and the royal trio are hoping to make the race what they call the “mental health marathon.”
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.