The Sherman City Council will consider an appeal by the owners of the Pre-School for Little Zebras to overturn a Planning & Zoning Commission decision during its regular meeting Monday at 5 p.m. in the council chambers of City Hall.
Chiniqua and Delmar Hill will once again have to appeal the Sherman City Council to continue operating in its current location in a one-family residential zone.
The Sherman Planning & Zoning Commission failed to pass the request of Chiniqua and Delmar Hill for a specific use permit and site plan for the Pre-School for Little Zebras day care at 1211 Blanton Drive as only three of the five commission members present voted in favor of the request and four were needed to approve it. Commission member Clay Mahone motion to approve the request for five years, but commission members Jeff Adams and Shawn Davis voted against the request, while Mahone, Chairman Joe Gilbert and commission member Sam Thorpe voted to grant the specific use permit and give site plan approval.
The commission also denied the Hills’ request to open the day care last year, but when the Hills appealed the decision to the council, it reversed that ruling the following month, allowing the licensed child care facility for one year. Following the denial last month, Delmar Hill said they would be appealing the decision to the City Council. Council members Charles H. Brown Sr. and Kevin Couch were in attendance for the P&Z meeting and Brown said he would support the Hills’ request during the appeal. Couch said he was interested to hear the discussion at the council meeting.
In other business, the council will also consider:
• a specific use permit for a tattoo shop at 230 W. Houston St.;
• a specific use permit for five residential apartments at 111-121 E. Pecan St.;
• a specific use permit for a self-storage facility at 250 E. Sycamore St.;
• a specific use permit for auto sales at 2411 Texoma Parkway;
• changes to city ordinance related to food trucks; and• changes to rules governing public parks and use of the municipal building, among other item.