Dr. Fred and Gerry Snipes of Sherman were honored Dec. 21 with a dinner at Fulbelli’s Restaurant in honor of their 60th wedding anniversary. Hosts were the couple’s children.

Dr. Fred and Gerry Snipes of Sherman were honored Dec. 21 with a dinner at Fulbelli’s Restaurant in honor of their 60th wedding anniversary. Hosts were the couple’s children.


The Snipes were married Dec. 20, 1953 at Oak Grove Methodist Church in Decatur. Attending was Carson Todd.


Gerry Snipes was born in Gossel, Kansas, the daughter of Herman and Helen Hoberecht. She attended the Parkland School of Nursing and worked at Parkland, the Veterans Administration and Wilson N. Jones Hospitals, as well as working as a nurse for Texas Instruments. She was also a homemaker and mother. She enjoys equestrian activities, tennis, playing Bridge and supporting Home Hospice and other local charities.


Fred Snipes was born in Decatur, the son of Atlas and Edith Snipes. He attended the University of Texas and Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. He served in the United States Air Force and was stationed at the Orlando Air Force Base before moving to Sherman in 1964 where he established his 40-year medical practice. He enjoys exercise, composing music, studying voice, continuing medical research and reading.


Both are long-time members of the First United Methodist Church where they have served on numerous committees and performed in the church choir. They’ve also enjoyed extensive traveling.


The Snipe’s children are James Britton, Karla Graham and her husband, Bruce, Twila Crick, Pam Barrier and her husband, Jeff, and Carol McQuien. There are 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.