It is finally fall and Texoma has some events for area residents to celebrate the change of the seasons. Watch the official change of the seasons happen Friday at Austin College and then enjoy some fall arts and crafts Saturday at Frontier Village. This weekend, area residents can also learn about farming while visiting historic sites and Austin College is hosting its second TEDx talk event. Here are five events that are special to the fall:
1. Autumnal Equinox Celebration at Austin College: The solar observatory in the IDEA Center at Austin College will highlight the arrival of the Autumnal Equinox on Friday. The event, weather and sunlight permitting, will be held from noon to 2 p.m. The public is invited to join students and faculty to watch the progress of the sun between 1 p.m. and 1:20 p.m. as it reaches its highest point in the sky. The IDEA Center is located on the Austin College campus at 1108 E. Richards Street in Sherman. The event is free.
2. Frontier Village Arts and Crafts Show: Frontier Village Arts, Crafts & Vintage Show will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday at Frontier Village at Loy Lake Park in Denison. Booth after booth of handmade items, jewelry, boutiques, edibles and more along with vendors from some of your favorite retail and direct sellers will be available to fair patrons. There will be a huge outdoor space for approximately 100 vendors and several food vendors.
3. Farming Heritage Day: Join Sam Rayburn House State Historic Site, 890 W. State Highway 56, Bonham, for a day of farming fun at “Mr. Sam’s” house. Farming Heritage Day will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the historic site. Enjoy cotton ginning demonstrations, hands-on activities, livestock, games and house tours. The event is free and is open to the public.
4. Red River Stroll & Roll at the Eisenhower Birthplace SHS: Eisenhower Birthplace Museum, 609 S. Lamar Ave., Denison, will be offering a free tour of the birthplace house as part of the Red River Valley Tourism Association’s annual “Stroll & Roll Museum Day” on Saturday. Come to the park between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. to take part in the Red River Valley Tourism event.
5. TEDxAustinCollege 2017: Austin College will host the second annual TEDx AustinCollege event from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday at 900 N. Grand Ave, Sherman. It will feature members of the Austin College community as speakers, TED talks, lunch and an interactive Discovery Depot to explore ideas worth spreading. The theme for this year’s event is, “Pieces of a Mosaic.” For more information on TEDx Austin College, visit http://www.austincollege.edu/about/office-of-public-affairs/tedxaustincollege/.
For more information about area events, visit heralddemocrat.com/eviesays.