There are plenty of things for people to do in Grayson County this weekend. From a play at Honey McGee to a 5K color run in Sadler, there is no shortage of events for Texoma families and their neighbors. Here are five events to fill this late summer weekend.
1. Theatricks Presents: The Wizard of Oz: The Wizard of Oz will be showing at Honey McGee Playhouse, 313 W. Mulberry, Sherman. Friday the play shows at 7 p.m. This story by L. Frank Baum is adapted from the MGM motion picture with music and lyrics by Harold Arlen & E.Y. Harburg, background music by Herbert Stothart and book adaptation by John Kane. This production is being directed by Josh Harris, who grew up through the Theatricks program as a youth and now, as a professional, has returned to lead this cast. To purchase tickets, call 903-893-8818 or visit theatricks.org.
2. Second Saturday Program: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge, 6465 Refuge Rd., Sherman, will have its second Saturday program from 8-11:30 a.m. Saturday. Start the day off with an Early Bird Guided Walk led by Texas Master Naturalist Jack Chiles, weather permitting. Meet at the Visitor Center at 8 a.m. and return in time to learn about Hagerman’s sister refuge Tishomingo National Wildlife Refuge from Tish Refuge Manager Rick Cantu. There will be a free nature presentation. It is open to the public and suitable for those ages 10 and over.
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul: Denison Public Library, 300 W. Gandy St., Denison, will be showing the children’s movie, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul” from 4-6 p.m. Sept. 8 at the library. All ages are welcome. Registration is not required. Popcorn and a beverage will be provided. The movie is rated PG.
4. Red River Stroll and Roll: Take a free tour of the Eisenhower Birthplace house as part of the Red River Valley Tourism Association’s annual “Stroll & Roll Museum Day.” The Eisenhower Birthplace is one of many Texas and Oklahoma museums between Wichita Falls and Paris that will be waiving admission fees for the day. The park is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at 609 S. Lamar Ave., Denison.
5. Ram Run 5K & 1M Color Run: This 5K event will be held at S&S High School, 404 S. Main St., Sadler, from 7:30-9:30 a.m. on Saturday. Packet pickup and late registration is available on race day only from 6:45-7:30 a.m. Saturday. No pets are allowed on the race course. All racers will need to check-in on Saturday to receive their bib. Proceeds from the race go to the S&S Elementary PTO for kid’s enrichment, scholarships and special opportunities. Prizes will be given for the 5k gold, silver, bronze award categories and overall male and female ages 60 and over, male and female 50-59, male and female 40-49, male and female 30-39, male and female 20-29, male and female 15-19, male and female 11-14, and male and female 1-10.